Topic: help improving my modern deck

I currently am running this list for UWr Control. Anything that you see that could make it better?
http://deckbox.org/sets/546964

Re: help improving my modern deck

Is this meant to be control, or tempo? There's 2 UWR decks in modern (Mainly), and they're Control and Delver. You are currently sitting on elements of both.

While they certainly are similar, they have very different strategies, and don't synergize too well.

If you were going the Tempo route, you're going to need to eliminate a couple of things.

-3 Sphinx's Revelation
-3 Cryptic Command
-2 Supreme Verdict
-1 Ajani Vengeant

You're going to be wanting to play as much hard hitting stuff as quickly as possible, and these cards really don't cut it. They're more end game material, and you don't want there to be an end game.

Some cards that you could consider using are:

+4 Snapcaster Mage
This guy will help bring back your tempo spells like Lightning bolt and Azorius charm, as well as provide a body that can block a lot of the little stuff in the format.

+4 Steppe Lynx
Since you're running Fetches, this guy will be a huge advantage early on. Turn 2, you can have him swing in as a 4/5 by fetching for a land. Equal to if not greater than Delver's power.

+4 Geist of saint traft
6 power swinging in on turn 4 to end the game? I think yes. This guy is very hard to deal with, and is an awesome finisher in any tempo build.

+4 Lightning Helix
This card gains you back life that you're bound to lose either via early aggressors, Bob, Deathrite Shaman...
Plus, the more burn, the better.

Any mix of these will turn this into a real tempo deck. However, if you wanted to go with the control route, you should be doing something completely different.

-3 Champion of the Parish
-4 Delver
Depending on your preference, you could keep Young Pyromancer in here, but I really don't see the point, what with Abrupt decays and Paths running around in every deck. -3 Young Pyromancer

-3 Azorius Charm
I'm only suggesting this because most of the UWR control decks you'll see will be running think twice in this spot. it's easier on the mana, and you get an extra draw. However, there could be an argument to keep the charm based on the tempo ability. Your choice.

+4 Snapcaster Mage
Again, this is probably one of the best cards ever printed because of it's versatility. Every deck is better with it. However, Young pyromancer makes for a quality proxy if you are unable to get them.

+1 Path to exile, Cryptic Command
These cards are some of the premier cards in the deck, and you want to see as many as possible every game.

+2 Mana Leak
Again, one of the best cards for the format in this deck, you want it all the time.

+1 Gideon Jura (Gideon, Champion of Justice could also take this spot)
You'll be wanting a couple of extra kill conditions, and Gideon is one of the most resilient ones there is. Some people argue that his other abilities are where he shines, but I'm alright with using him as a straight beat stick.

+3-4 Lightning Helix
You're going to be fetching and shocking a lot to get your mana right, and this helps mitigate a lot of that damage. Also, works great on Bobs.

+2 Electrolyze
These can be sideboarded. Included because of Bob, Young Pyromancer, Snapcaster Mage, Lingering Souls, unflipped delvers...

So once you choose which archetype you'll be following, I hope these suggestions helped you out a bit.
I didn't actually look at your sideboard until after I typed all of this, so once you move soe stuff around a bit, you should be all good. Good luck with the deck!

Last edited by DarrenM (2013-12-03 05:09:08)

-=Profile=-
Buying cards for store inventory, check my profile!

Thanks for the help, I wanted something that was more tempo and not full control or aggro, soo idk?

Alright, if you're going the tempo route, the suggestions that I gave should lead to a pretty solid build. You'll need a good suite of quality burn spells, Snapcasters, efficient creatures, and disruption.

Have you ever played a tempo build before?

Either way, here's a link to my current UWR Delver build. It is still in the final stages of construction, but it's still able to win its fair share of games. [http://deckbox.org/sets/540433]

In a tempo build, you're going to want to be more efficient in your plays than your opponent. That's why you are playing the efficient one and two drops. The disruption helps to throw off your opponent's tempo by slowing them down, whether that means that they're creatures get removed, or their spells don't resolve. And while their cards aren't able to have any effect, you're laying down a constant beat down with your creatures.

The reason that I'm running Young pyromancer in my build, even though I don't suggest it for you, is because in my local modern meta, people have been playing since these cards were in standard, and know how to deal with this strategy. It also doesn't help that they know that i'm coming with Delver. I put the Pyromancers in to give my deck some variation from the other 2 delver decks there, as well as to give my deck some sustainability in the match ups against people that know how to deal with me. If your local meta is full of scrubs who haven't ever played against a delver deck, don't run the pyromancer because it will slow down your overall plan of attack.

Last edited by DarrenM (2013-12-03 05:27:18)

-=Profile=-
Buying cards for store inventory, check my profile!