Topic: confussion on paypal on here

so if i wanted to sell a few cards on here using paypal...how would i go about that? ive been a long time trader here but now a days im looking to rid myself of my collection in paper in order to move on with school and work (and in need of money!) but i face the question of HOW do i do that? i want to do this as securely and hassle free as i can for me AND the buyer.  Help?

Re: confussion on paypal on here

Set it up as a one sided trade and agree on a price with the person through the chat.  Then confirm as usual, wait for payment then ship.  If they use the normal Payment option (paying for goods/services) through PayPal, then it is eligible for PayPal's buyer's protection, but PayPal charges you a fee of about 3% + $0.30.  If they are willing to make the payment as a gift transaction then you are not charged any fees. 

You just have to be willing to negotiate on price.  Advertise here, take photos or scans if you can and be willing to beat TCG prices.  If you sell on TCG player directly they take about 12% and have a delay from the time you make a sale until you get paid of roughly a week.  So keep in mind if you're selling here, even if you undercut TCG player you'll probably make about the same as you would selling there by their avoiding fees.   Generally I try to have cards I'm selling listed on both sites but it requires some work to keep your lists up to date.

gumgodMTG wrote:

Set it up as a one sided trade and agree on a price with the person through the chat.  Then confirm as usual, wait for payment then ship.  If they use the normal Payment option (paying for goods/services) through PayPal, then it is eligible for PayPal's buyer's protection, but PayPal charges you a fee of about 3% + $0.30.  If they are willing to make the payment as a gift transaction then you are not charged any fees. 

You just have to be willing to negotiate on price.  Advertise here, take photos or scans if you can and be willing to beat TCG prices.  If you sell on TCG player directly they take about 12% and have a delay from the time you make a sale until you get paid of roughly a week.  So keep in mind if you're selling here, even if you undercut TCG player you'll probably make about the same as you would selling there by their avoiding fees.   Generally I try to have cards I'm selling listed on both sites but it requires some work to keep your lists up to date.

hmm seems more complicated than I originally thought to be honest I'm just looking to be rid of my whole list but i don't even know where to begin on pricing it.  any help on that? the estimator has it at like 400$ which i know cant be what anyone will pay since they are mostly bulk stuff.

Please not the use of the 'Gift' option also means there is no buyer/seller protection. IMO the best way is to use the 'Goods/Services' option or create an invoice listing cards and prices that gets emailed to the buyer.

First and foremost, make sure your deckbox is 100% up to date. If that means you need to delete your inventory and then refill it so be it (I've done it more than a few times >_< ) With a collection of that size someone is probably more than likely to buy it as a lot, usually about 15% less than the TCG low of it. Once you've added your cards to deckbox you can select the option to view TCG Low as the card price to give you a rough estimate of the worth. I would recommend against selling on TCG Player since it seems like you don't have to many pricey or highly sought after cards; just make a few posting on deckbox.

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

Well if you change the settings to use the minimum price from TCG player it calculates it as

"Total value of cards in this set: $150.16 (using the minimum price on tcgplayer.com)"

VS using Average price:
"Total value of cards in this set: $449.51 (using the average price on tcgplayer.com)"

Now that may also may not be realistic, but really the hard part is going to find someone who's interested in buying everything as a lot, then you can work out pricing, and you may even want to consider selling to a store or someone local to avoid the shipping.    The one time I sold my entire collection (except for 1 deck) I used e-bay.  I got a little less than it was worth at the time, but if you document everything the buyers will often do the work of figuring out how much they want to spend on it/how much it's worth.

gumgodMTG wrote:

Well if you change the settings to use the minimum price from TCG player it calculates it as

"Total value of cards in this set: $150.16 (using the minimum price on tcgplayer.com)"

VS using Average price:
"Total value of cards in this set: $449.51 (using the average price on tcgplayer.com)"

Now that may also may not be realistic, but really the hard part is going to find someone who's interested in buying everything as a lot, then you can work out pricing, and you may even want to consider selling to a store or someone local to avoid the shipping.    The one time I sold my entire collection (except for 1 deck) I used e-bay.  I got a little less than it was worth at the time, but if you document everything the buyers will often do the work of figuring out how much they want to spend on it/how much it's worth.

Alright the helps a lot actually I suppose I will work out a fair price and post it up here on the trade forums and if that doesnt work out I'll try Ebay/Amazon next. and to answer UnstableConflux i have indeed deleted and readded EVERY single card in my possession.  It took about 3 days of tedious organization but i think it's worth it. My next question being, shipping this monstrosity.  I have heard there is an option for that.   is that in the paypal site itself?

I guess that depends on how many cards you have.  You can do "multi order shipping" through PayPal and get a good rate, but you'll need some way to weigh your package, and you cannot ship internationally or to an APO this way.  For that you'll need to go to the post office.  You may want to look into flat rate boxes.

Last edited by gumgodMTG (2013-12-06 19:51:47)

Alright then i suppose i'll add cost of shipping to the total?

VampireArmy wrote:

UnstableConflux

That's a first smile

As far as shipping goes: Use a USPS flat rate box! Much cheaper than shipping individually / any other method. As long as it fits it ships, and they have 3 sizes available.

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

UnstableFlux wrote:
VampireArmy wrote:

UnstableConflux

That's a first smile

As far as shipping goes: Use a USPS flat rate box! Much cheaper than shipping individually / any other method. As long as it fits it ships, and they have 3 sizes available.

Whoops sorry about that! and that I shall do! thanks so much for the information and advice guys!