Topic: Brand New to MTG

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm brand new to MTG (I've never played a game) and have only recently discovered this magical world via Day[9] on youtube. At the ripe old age of 30, i love the idea of building a deck, playing, tweaking, getting better, coming up with tactics and getting into the world.

My question is, where do i start? I've added all my cards to this site, done some trading and have a deck in mind that i found and i love the idea of (http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/aggro-ha … eated-fnm/). I've started to gather the cards, but with the bulk of the cards being costy, i have to forge ahead with what i have. Does anyone have any basic ideas for me based on the cards i have? It's a very hard thing to get straight into if you have no friends who play and are doing it all for the first time.

Thanks again.

Re: Brand New to MTG

I had actually been thinking of a similar list although I also am lacking many of the cards needed to pull it off.

So, how do you get started in the game?  My suggestion would be to head down to your LGS (local game store)/LCS (local card shop) this friday to attend your first FNM (Friday Night Magic).  You're not going to play so much as observe.  Talk to folks, see what they're playing, how they're playing, etc.  Just soak it all in as there is a LOT to learn about the game to be really good. 

Then, proxy up the deck(s) you might want to run with extra lands and slips of paper telling what the cards really are on pieces of paper slid in front of the land in the sleeves.  This will let you test the deck to see how you like it before you go dropping major cash on it.  With any luck you can play some casual games with a few people and get some pointers.

We can help you some here, but you've already identified a deck that might have some promise and, from the look of your inventory, you have most of the cards already.  So to that end, just be patient and work your way toward it.  Play some drafts and sealed events along the way as they'll really teach you a lot toward deck building while also getting some of the cards you're looking for along the way.

Welcome to the game and with any luck you can get things rolling!

ive found that when you are new to magic, start with "kitchen table magic". This is just very casual friendly play which is largely non competitive and between friends and such. go to your friday night magic stuff at the nearest games store.

For decks, for complete newbies you'll want to start with the pre-made decks and start battling them against each other. Doesnt matter if its just you either, just play against yourself. Make sure to read the little pamphlet that comes with them because it tells you how to play the deck.

Buy 1-2 booster boxes eventually, just save up for it and buy it. This gives you a pretty good base of cards.

Now while you play, take a good note of what cards work really well and what thoughts are crossing your mind. You'll notice that during the first X turns you might just be sitting there playing mana. How can you get around this?

You'll notice that certain cards are just too costly and you never manage to play them. You'll notice that some of them are supposed to be game winers but hardly do anything.

You might notice that some cards work exceedingly well together. Now you start fixing these beginner decks. Start replacing cards.

Read up on deck building strategies such as: Mana Curve and Rule of 9.

Make sure you are reading other peoples' decks. Comment on their decks, tell them you are very new, and ask them to fully explain their thought process behind the deck. Chances are, every single card is in there for a very specific reason.

Back in the old days (im 24, this is back when I was 13-15) I used to play against my friends. I started with a single 7th edition deck. I bought a few deckboxes like Beatdown and Deckmasters. I bought a couple odyssey fat packs or something. I bought a few boosters. I traded amongst friends. But the way we played was to load down a deck with as many big game winners as possible and call it a day. Sometimes they were too big so we'd take them out. Sometimes the strategy would never work out too well so we'd have to add in various cards that could all work well together no matter which hand/order you drew them in. Those were simple days.

Now, you go with 1-3 MAIN strategies. You use the rule of 9 to pick 9 cards (IDEAL CONDITIONS). you get 4 copies of each of these 9 cards. the rest is mana. Then you replace as much basic lands as you can with "good lands". If its doing more than JUST generating mana, its better than a basic land.

You'll see when you read about it.

Just make sure you keep reading and looking up different cards and effects. You cant just willy nilly assume that some card exists, because its difficult to do things that way. Its better to know your own arsenal backwards and forwards and be able to use it wisely.

For example: Gray Merchant of Asphodel in a mono black devotion deck.

Thanks for the help guys, i really really appreciate it.

Can you suggest any sites that breakdown the mechanics of a card into basic language?

For example....

Rakdos Guildgate
Dimir Guildgate
Temple of Mystery
Unknown Shores

I have these land cards, but I'd like to understand what the mechanic of each of them is.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/newtom … earntoplay

I think you need to look at these basic rules and how to play first.

The card is a land card, but when you play it, you cant immediately use it because it will come into the field "tapped". So you cannot "tap" it in order to use it for "mana".

On your next turn, you will be able to untap it during the untap phase, then tap it for whichever color of mana you choose.

Scry 1 means you get to look at the top 1 card of your deck, put it either on the top or the bottom of your deck in any order. (similarly, scry 15 would mean you look at the top 15 cards, put any of them on the top and any of them on the bottom, in any order)

For unknown shores, you can only generate colorless mana, but if you pay 1 mana AND tap that land, in return you get 1 mana of any color instead of just a colorless one.

Peegee57 best bet is to buy yourself a premade deck and then try and find a group local to you to play with.

Usually there will be a Friday Night Magic (FNM) group near you.

Join have fun, win, loose, get devastated build your experience.

must most of all

1) don't be a rules dork and complain when your opponent pulls a sweet but major league nasty tactic on you, it has destroyed many groups

This is a good tip.

Sometimes, me or my gf run into a rulings situation or something where we are unsure. This is just kitchen table, mind you.

So i try to look up the card in question to get rulings about it. I try to look up similar questions. If it takes more than 5 minutes, I ask what the few most likely conclusions are that can be reached. For the sake of argument, i'll simply pick one of those, make a note of it, and agree to play  by that ruling for the rest of the game until it has been clarified.

Example: A friend told me i couldnt use nylea's presence to enchant his land. He told me the card was useless in my deck because all it did was allow him to tap that land for any type of mana.

I argued that the card was NOT useless, and used in combination with Elvish Champion, gave all of my elves forest walk because his enchanted land was technically partially a forest.

We had our 2 opinions of how the card ruling worked, He was adamant that the card didnt work the way I thought. I said Fine, for this game i'll go with that ruling. And we continued play as normal.

Once the game was over, I looked it up and showed him that I would have had forestwalk (combined with overrun for 5 6/6 elves that were unblockable by him that turn because of elvish champions, overrun, and nylea's presence)

Quick update on this and a quick thanks to those who offered me some advice, I'm pretty clued up on the mechanics of the cards now, but still feeling very timid about playing.

My deck is slowly coming together. I've got the 'more desirable' cards to pick up yet Mutavault x 4, Thoughtseize x 4 Rakdos's Return x2 and Hero's Downfall x2 but my deck is taking form at least.