Topic: 2 errors with pricing

Seance does not show up with a price beside it when added to inventory. perhaps the "é" character is causing problems with scraping the price?

Balance for whatever reason lists its price as $60 something, this may be an issue with tcgplayer's database though

Just thought I'd give the mod's a heads up

Re: 2 errors with pricing

If you actually look at balance you will see why, the high price is at 118.11 which is a LP beta version http://magiccards.info/be/en/188.html

from what I have observed, deckbox averages all versions of the card together so have a few outliars inflates the price

You can just choose to have the "low" price displayed on all cards, which frankly I think is more accurate. Settings->Magic the Gathering Preferences.

Don't forget that the trade area uses TCG mid prices and you can't change that.  I switched to low for a while and then switched back due to that small detail.  If you don't trade then don't worry.

I've found that the "average" price is frequently pretty biased; I've done a few trades where the "Minimum" prices are sub-ten-cents, and the depth of the market supports those prices, but the high price is $1.99, which skews the "Average."

I don't know what TCGPlayer's API looks like, but it seems like the "TCG Average" used by deckbox doesn't reflect market depth.  If possible, I think a lot of pricing irregularities could be addressed by changing the pricing model to a weighted-average approach.  $100 Beta versions of a $1 card would still skew the weighted average, but if there was only 1 Beta available and there were 100 M12 editions, the weighted average should still be close to $1, as opposed to $50.

EDIT: Meh; I suspect deckbox probably just has access to TCGPlayer's low/avg/high prices, and doesn't do any calculations on its own, so this is probably entirely moot.  Oh well...

Last edited by mholger (2012-03-30 12:57:43)

I think you're right on the latter.

mholger wrote:

EDIT: Meh; I suspect deckbox probably just has access to TCGPlayer's low/avg/high prices, and doesn't do any calculations on its own, so this is probably entirely moot.  Oh well...

Exactly right.

We're in the process of using prices per edition for cards that have details on them, and revamping the inventory listing for that purpose. It should help with card valuation a bit.