Topic: I'm on a multiplayer nightmare kick... (discussion, no regulations)

I play with some good friends usually on Friday nights, so this is just casual play scenario. I have a deck idea that I first got from Tawnos about having a multiplayer deck that focuses on life gain. This is what I got so far, but I think I'm missing something...

http://deckbox.org/sets/148657

I'm missing control, flying defense, and aggro off the top of my head. What I want to do is just piss every one of them off. (Don't worry, we're good friends and will get over it after another beer.) No matter what they tried to do, I'm hoping things go wrong.

Essentially what happens when we play free for all, everyone builds up a defense while doing jabs, then when someone opens up too wide, everyone pounces on the weak. Or, everyone gangs up on me and another person for projecting superiority. This might turn to the latter immediately and this deck idea might go out the window. lol

I even have a friend on here that might read this, but that's cool. I want some challenge, lol.

Anyway, are there any suggestions on cards I might want to acquire? Should I use Spellbook and try to find cards that allow me to draw a ton? Your thoughts and insight would be much appreciated!

Re: I'm on a multiplayer nightmare kick... (discussion, no regulations)

Oh ho ho ho... I just saw a card I need for my Chalice of Lifes combos.

Unwinding Clock

I've been fond of Ajani's Mantra as a simple way to guarantee you're going to gain at least 1-2 life per turn.  Outside of that, the Ajani Goldmane could help you continue to gain life and gives you that potential killing blow with the GIANT avatar tokens you could produce.

I would also drop the Hollowhenge Scavenger in exchange for Lifelink or something that is more of a sure thing to gain life.

But, if you wanted to take things a different way, I know it's expensive, but Venser's Journal when mixed with a deck more directed toward drawing a ton of cards will definitely increase that life total a lot faster.  Then again, that's just my 2 cents worth.

No, those are excellent ideas. Not sure I want to throw planewalkers in it because this group seems to pounce on them immediately and not sure he'll survive that long without a definite defense. I had the mantra's in there before, but I thought it was a low amount compared to the others and it got the boot. And I definitely have the Journals on my wishlist but haven't found an opportunity for a trade yet.

I thought I might be lacking on creatures for the scavengers, but I may make the switch. It's also lower cost and quicker. Thanks!

And that's another thing: I lack the draw cards for these colors. hmm May need some help there too.

I won't claim to have been playing with them for long, but I've found Venser's Journal to be a marginal card unless you're playing something that either has some serious mana-ramping or is really focused on drawing cards.  Most games by the time you get to the 5 you need to play the journal, a lot of the outcome is going to be decided.  In a FFA format that might be different as people are more cautious, but it's really a tradeoff.  To whatever end, I can imagine that space will be better utilized on something else unless you're really going to change the direction of the deck as you likely won't want to be holding a lot in your hand in a FFA.

For the planeswalker thing, I can still see where having him in there might be useful, even if you hold him in your hand until the field has thinned a bit.  You're definitely going to draw some attention if the Pridemates and Entities are getting big enough.  So you might want to look into some more defenses, to whatever end (whether it be token generating creatures or even just some circle of protections (or later set comparable cards).  Another thought would be x2 Katabatic Winds, that certainly helps with flying defense if you play them on staggered turns.

The only reason I suggest the Mantras is because that would be a consistent, guaranteed life gaining enterprise.  That would ensure that the Pridemates and Entities get bigger every turn while helping you get that little bit more life.

Are you sticking with standard? If not you could always throw in some en-kors and get some infinite life combos going in a handful of turns.
Force the game to go into alternative win conditions.
Starlit Sanctum
Nomads en-Kor
Daru Spiritualist

Can't really base it off one night, but boy did I get my butt handed to me on a plate. This needs work.

neutral

If I didn't post it in the thread that gave you this idea, the deck below is a fantastic multiplayer life-gain deck.

http://deckbox.org/sets/81465

As is, it's extremely aggro and can gain absurd amounts of life; I've been up over 100 on a few occasions.  Having 4x Ajani's Pridemate is critical as is having 12x cards that gain you life when creatures ETB (Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest).  In your case, since you're running green, you could use Essence Warden instead but I strongly recommend dropping green altogether and playing the build I have linked above.  As mono-white you are now open to Honor of the Pure/Crusade which turns the little guys that were just gaining you life into effective beaters. 

Serra Ascendants and Squadron Hawks are also very important to the deck.  They provide the kill in most games. 

Lastly, I do not like the Inquisitor Exarchs in my build and will be dropping them for Chalice of Life.  Everything else in the deck runs very well and it's very fun to play.  It lacks true control and flying defense but the absurd amount of life gain in the deck usually makes up for it.  Especially in a large, multi-player game where you have so many people triggering the Soul Wardens and her sisters.

Yeah, that's the exact deck I was thinking of. Just think I lack the necessary cards to make it work. Think I'll remedy that.  big_smile

Edit: Have you run into infect problems? I can see some of my friends doing that to me as a huge counter to something like this.

Last edited by Hellnikko (2012-03-31 19:50:17)

That's a really good thing to worry about.  No I have run in to infect issues but only because it's not prevalent in my play group.  If its a concern you could make room for removal like swords to plowshares.

Second play of this deck: Success!

This is what it looks like with new modifications http://deckbox.org/sets/148657

First draw, I had an ageless entity, a chalice, and 5 land -> Mulligan
2nd Draw, loam lion, pridemate, whitesun, chalice and 3 land. I took it.

I think that's the key, if I can snag a pridemate or at least a loam with lifelink in my first hand, I might be golden, hoping I can get a chalice or entity later on. I took out elixirs and divine favors, and I was able to pump up my ageless entity to 26/26 in 2 rounds. Edit: Not on round 2, this was after 5 or 6 rounds, then it was 2 rounds later. To avoid any confusion.(Very much thanks for the suggestion of Lifelink... that went straight to my pridemate and is an excellent addition!)

I got up to 36 life, changed one chalice. (Almost changed two if I wasn't forced to discard.)

All in all, very cool. Even with deathtouch creatures, my chalice could slowly kill those with infect or deathtouch as I plow the other players for life gain.

Now I would like to add in some blue to scry and draw more, but that might saturate it too much. Thoughts?

Last edited by Hellnikko (2012-04-07 17:15:03)

if you are committed to adding draw spells I recommend Survival Cache.

Not committed, but entertaining the idea. I love to have my options opened.