Topic: People on deckbox with this mentality. SMH

Altered Name and Card Names so not to point anyone out.

This is the chat panel. You can chat about your trade here by just typing your message in the box and pressing enter.

Markklol    Hey, the foils according the scg are about 11 dollars. and the promo  ____ i want is 6.    17 Apr

Markklol    let me know if you are okay with using scg prices or how you want to price them.    17 Apr

Markklol    i don't want the token i updated my forum with a pic of the ones i want. thanks though.    17 Apr

Markklol    i would be glad to add something small to equalize the trade but before that i would like to know what set the ____ and ____ are that you listed promo, are they the game promos? :] if so i would like them too if you can find more on my list.    17 Apr

Markklol    let me know thanks :]    17 Apr

Trader 2:    Too rich for my blood, especially looking at ebay buyit now or bids which are drastically lower. The ____ and ____ are both game promos as well. They are my last ones, so it would take a lot to get rid of them all and I don't see anything in your binder except for a snapcaster. Thanks!    17 Apr

Markklol    Well i use the actual prices for cards, not what you can find it for on ebay or what you personally value your cards at. thanks though.    17 Apr

Trader2    How is the buy it now price no they go for? they are only worth what people will pay for them and you can see what people are paying for them on ebay. SCG is not the end all be all, every single magic player knows they are the highside, way high side. look at their snapcasters - $24.99? Yet I can grab them all day long for $19-20 for on ebay. Best of luck with your lot of foils. I think deckbox should make it easier for those looking for them to actually find them.

Re: People on deckbox with this mentality. SMH

sounds likeTrader2 fails to grasp the concept that Ebay reflects auction price.
also- failed to take consideration the cost of shipping. which Ebay, is usually high.

personally wouldn't waste my time with this example of trader.

GL2U

Last edited by Monolith (2012-04-17 23:10:07)

Honestly I don't think Trader2 is out of line here but, for the record, I prefer SCG for pricing foils as well.  When comparing foils for trade pricing it shouldn't really matter what website you use as long as you both use the same one.  You wouldn't, for example, price your cards through SCG and theirs through eBay because the markets are different and the oddity that is eBay shipping throws everything out of balance unless it's a single card for a single card. 

With SCG, or a similar site, you get a more accurate reflection of the cost of all the cards in the trade whereas eBayers tend to lower the BiN price to entice you and then pack the loss into the shipping.  Either that or all of the US really believes that stamp+envelope+top-loader+penny-sleeve == $2.50 in which case I weep for our future.

The best advice I can offer is to try hard to explain this concept to the person you are trading with and hope they understand.  If they don't, make sure to capture all of the buyout and shipping costs on both sides of the trade when comparing prices through eBay and then make your decision.  Odds are the person who is trading the highest number of unique cards is going to get the better deal.  If that's you, take the deal and enjoy your winnings; if it's not, walk away from the trade.

No it was just the way he phrased it. He was acting as if he wanted standard+ prices for his cards but ebay for mine. Even if we trade with ebay prices it would just be a cheaper trade but with the same cards.

And i can understand not wanting to trade certain cards (the 2 game promos he had) unless it was for something he wanted but he implied he wanted to trade his promos for more than a snapcaster which was more expensive than both promo's combined, implying that his personal values for the cards were higher than the actual values.

People like that disgust me, i didn't explain anything to him, i didn't reply after the last comment. I don't even want to converse with people that act like this. I meet some people like this at fnm occationally, it makes me not want to trade with them at all.

In that case I agree.  It's one thing to haggle over who to use for pricing on foils but to artificially inflate your side of the trade without a really good reason is plain old rude. 

I am more bothered by the not wanting to trade the cards unless there was something on the table that the trader really wanted.  People seem to do this often and I just don't get it.  Why are they in your trade list then?  Why not keep them in your inventory and then use the trade forums to communicate your intentions?  IMO, tradelist means it's for trade right now, at the standard price.  I am probably the exception to this rule but if my choices are straightforward trading based on price or subjective trades based on your personal value and/or what you had for breakfast today I'll take the former every time...

Yeah everything in my trades list is stuff i don't intend to use. And as long as it's format-format and not penny cards for expensive cards i'll trade anything on my list.
I know what you mean the cards i don't want to trade i don't even have listed up on deckbox at all. If i actually need something off someone's list and they tell me they are having difficulty finding things i usually list off some things i have in my personal binder but other than that i don't make a mention or list any cards i'd like to keep.