Topic: mono colored decks

Friends and I decided to do a 5 person game using mono colored decks in a circle of the magic colors, where each color would have 2 colors as allies/neutrals and 2 as enemies.  I made four just in case, tell me what you think. All the decks vary in format so nothing particular. It would be nice to know what you think with any thoughts. They are much appreciated.

Red Mono - http://deckbox.org/sets/163421

Blue Mono - http://deckbox.org/sets/163407 (Time Reversal saved me from a mass card draw with Jace, Memory Adept and Liliana's Caress. It was lucky and incredible.

Green Mono - http://deckbox.org/sets/163274  (I personally really liked this idea, but I can see some flaws. Let me know what I can do to improve this guy.)

Gideon's Army (White Mono) - http://deckbox.org/sets/148263

I do have a bonus deck, just because I'm terrible with Black, but I did think of this idea and then found many exactly like it. Has anyone seen this one and if it might work, besides a well timed Day of Judgment? And yes, I know it's not a mono colored. It just sounded neat.

Cranberries - http://deckbox.org/sets/164186

Re: mono colored decks

Oh, we haven't done the game yet. I just practiced with them on some other games. We'll do it soon.

(Those who are sneaky enough to realize I was playing a blue deck vs. a B/U one.)

Maybe I'm being annoying, but I won't know unless someone tells me. Are these topics pretty basic for most people and that's why I don't get feedback? Maybe I need to be in a newb forum? Am I asking the wrong questions? Do I talk too much? Maybe I'm missing a place for starter information. Or these topics have been beaten to death and everyone is tired of them...

Not sure, but let me know. I can shut up too! I promise!

Last edited by Hellnikko (2012-04-23 23:30:49)

I really couldn't tell you why people are so reluctant to offer comments on deck ideas... it's frustrating if you're looking to either start up or get back into the game after a long layoff (as is my case).  Normally Tawnos is pretty good about giving a few thoughts.

That aside, I actually got a good laugh out of your "Cranberries" deck.  Have you tried that?  Does it work enough to be funny or is it too erratic to be worthwhile?

For the red mono deck, it looks like it would be dropping creatures really fast, but what happens when you get top decked?  Or, if the opponent manages to wipe out all of the little critters (i.e. cerebral eruption) or even just some well placed blockers and control cards in a fast deck, then what's the endgame strategy?  It strikes me as a good 1-v-1 deck, but in a group setting you would get destroyed because nothing is big enough to really make an impact in a longer game.  As a thought, what about Claws of Valakut for the Spikeshot Elder.  Then, even in a longer game, you could deal some direct damage or take out larger creatures without losing all of your stuff.

For the blue mono deck, why not use Treasure Hunt to cycle some more cards into your graveyard to give  Runechanter's Pike more punch with Invisible Stalker?  Otherwise this looks like it could do some damage, even in a multiplayer format (but this is an outdated legacy player talking).

For the green mono deck, why do you need 3 of Autumn's Veil?  I'd also suggest including Lure as I find that's a great killing stroke for any green creature-based deck.  Combine the Lure with Acidic Slime or even one of the deathtouch snakes and you'll pump up Lumberknot REALLY fast too.

For the Gideon Deck... that looks solid enough to be robust in both 1-v-1 and multiplayer formats.

Awesome! I definitely don't want to be that kid that gets into something new for them and the old timers calling me whipper snappers. And I've always liked Tawnos feedback. That's something I'd like to do is get good enough to offer my own advice.

To address some of the concerns, the game would be five people, but each one only has two enemies. For instance if I was playing green, my opponents are black and blue, red is white and blue, etc. That also means that the other two can be neutrals or allies, depending on what you are doing to their enemies or neutrals/allies, if that makes sense.  It's still in planning stage so there is plenty of room for improvement.

The red was planned to run fast on purpose. I was able to play a 3 person ffa and was able to kill each of them in three turns. Then I added the leylines and chieftains to mellow it out. But I'll look into your suggestion and see what I can do. I do have small creatures, but when a few of them have battle cry, they aren't small anymore.

Treasure hunt has not done that well for what I want it to do. I'm not finding it's purpose because I'll only be pulling up lands and not too many other cards. I think I could get a lot more with ponders, preordains, or even foresee. The only benefit I've seen is for cranberries. (glad you liked that name!)

And last, green was the hardest and I wanted a good theme. So instead of focusing on big creatures, I wanted to flash them when they attacked and boosted them. I only picked the veils because the green's enemies are black and blue and wanted a good FU when they wanted to do something. I did look into lure and if I wanted to try them, something would have to go. I was already trying hard to keep it down to 60 so I'll have to look at it again.

Oh, and I have not tried the cranberries yet, but doing some practice starting hands, you need to have a treasure hunt so it's best to keep mulligan'ing until you do, which I've gone down as low as four cards. People may say I netdecked this, but I really initially thought of it and looked it up later. Not saying I'm the first, but I'm still gonna try it!

Definitely thanks for the love. I thought for sure I turned into that guy that bothers everyone with his "ideas".

Thanks for the kind words!

I haven't been commenting as much lately because I am completely swamped at work and will be for at least another month.  I barely have time to read everything on Deckbox let alone respond to larger topics like this one.  I promise I am still out there and keeping up with the forums but my advice will probably be sparse for a while sad

Someone else will have to pick up the slack for me like TyWooOneTime wink