Topic: [Opinion|Legacy] Wetwork

I had it in mind to make an assassin deck with Umezawa's Jitte, which I happen to have 4 of. I didn't want to make the old standard assassin deck, however, using Scarblade Elite, even though that is a powerful card. I didn't want the cards to *necessarily* be assassins. Just cool humanoid-types that I liked. Some with Deathtouch would be good, I figured. So I picked 4 character creature cards that I liked and added some artifacts (including the all-powerful Jitte) and a 4-of of Dark Ritual so I could put two characters in play  or Guul-Draz Assassin plus the Jitte on turn one. Add in a 3-of in Vraska the Unseen and some removal spells and I felt like I had a decent deck.

I have a friend coming over tonight who has a lot of MTG experience, whereas I have very little. He got rid of all his cards a few years ago and is only now starting to play again primarily because he's got me to abuse now and he has been, using my own cards, for a couple of weeks now. So last week he bought a new deck for himself. He said it's BW but won't go into more detail than that other than to say it does have 4 Thoughtseize that he bought separately and added to it. I think the original deck he bought was in the neighborhood of $40.

Now, I have completed Jund Monsters, Boros Burn and Monoblack Devotion decks, but I thought it would be fun to play my lil Wetwork deck since it may never see any action other than this. So here are my questions: Is there something I should be doing differently with this deck? Should I change anything or add some dynamic that I haven't thought of? Any help would be appreciated and I can take criticism so don't worry about my feelings.

https://deckbox.org/sets/695157

Last edited by xMatch (2014-06-28 16:34:06)

Re: [Opinion|Legacy] Wetwork

So Is this Competitive legacy? Or Casual? *Confused* It sounds like casual but I wanted to confirm. So thats the assumption I'll go with for the moment.

Your major issue here IMO is that you're sort of relying on 4 Jittes to do the heavy lifting but at the same time you've only got 12 creatures to stick it on.  (You're also only 59/60)

Personally I'd do something like...

-3 Fire shrieker
-1 Bileblight
-1 Hymm
-2 Doom Blade main deck

+2 Victim of the Night Main Deck (Ever noticed that most black creatures are Vampires and or Zombies? big_smile So basically you just hit more with this card in general.)
+6 Creatures

Dark Ritual is also pretty good but Im not sure it entirely adds a whole lot of value to the deck specifically. Most of your stuff is fairly cheap as is.

Last edited by TRZ (2014-06-30 11:07:45)

It's casual. I've seen competitive legacy decks and I don't entertain any notions that I have the money to put together anything that would be competitive.

You caught this deck when I was modifying it which is why it was only 59/60. I'd had a 4-of of Guul Draz Assassin in it up until yesterday (but I may put him back in since he's one of the few creatures I can play on turn one). And I pulled out 4 Trepanation Blade because in actual play it proved you were right, too many artifacts, not enough creatures. The Fireshrieker actually proved useful when at one point I equipped it to a Hand of Cruelty which already was equipped with Umezawa's Jitte and that immediately ended the game as he became 16/16. However, I do agree there are too many of them in there.

Bile Blight was a card I added in after I posted this, primarily because I was playing this deck against Orzhov Tokens, which Blight would have been particularly effective against. I've also been thinking about playing Thoughtseize in here.

Dark Ritual proved to be quite effective, especially when I got one in my opening hand. I was able to play Guul Draz Assassin and either Umezawa's Jitte or Hand of Crutelty on turn one. If I'd had my Thoughtseizes in here I could have hit with that and still had mana for a creature or Jitte to put on the board. Dark Ritual would work very well with Dark Confidant in later rounds I think, but I don't have 4 of Confidant sad

What do you think about it now? Any creature recommendations? I've got several other creatures that I thought would fit the theme I'm going for, including Kiku, Night's Flower, Harvester of Souls, Nekrataal and Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni. Oh and I have 4 of Royal Assassin on their way.

Last edited by xMatch (2014-07-01 15:23:37)

Taking another look I would personally take away a couple more things for some more creatures.

-1 Victim
-2 Dark Ritual
-1 vraska

+4 Royal Assassin

And then I would look for survivable creatures. YOu want stuff that can come back repeatedly to keep sticking swords on right? SO maybe Try and get 2 Reassembling Skeletons in there?

Nekratal is also pretty solid.

Hm I don't have any reassembling skellys. Although I may soon wink

I do have:
Font of Return
Ghoulcaller's Chant
March of the Returned
Reviving Melody (would also return the Jitte from the graveyard)
Tenacious Dead…which is very like Reassembling Skeleton.

Tenacious Dead would be a good stand in for the moment but having the option to leave skellies in the yard for a bit before you bring them back is always nice!