Topic: Alphastrike Invitational - Schedule and Information

The first Invitational officially kicks off with the Alphastrike Invitational. The Alphastrike Invitational will consist of 3 seperate formats to determine the winner and subsequent lead for the next invitational. So, without further ado, I present to you the schedule and formats for the Alpastrike Invitational.

Schedule

Date and Time - Saturday September 6th - 5:00 p.m

Dinner - This will be hosted by myself and will most likely consist of a spaghetti feed with bread and salad followed by dessert. The only things that you will need to provide is a beverage if you prefer something other than water and perhaps a snack for the evening.

Event - As soon as we have finished dinner we will proceed upstairs for the event. You will need to bring a Pauper EDH deck, which we will discuss below, some dice, and a desire to have fun. The event will take approx. 6 hours to complete, though this is just an approximation and the duration could be plus or minus an hour.

Formats

BigBox

We will play a large melee free-for-all match of BigBox. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the BigBox format, there are 6 large libraries that each person can play from. There is a library for each color and one library for colorless and multi-color cards. Each player will also have a "land library" what will consist of 12 basic land that he or she chooses before the round begins. Each player will draw their opening hand by drawing card by card, one at a time from any library that they have access to. During the draw step or any other time that you would be required to draw a card, you may choose which library to draw from. If you are to draw mulitple cards from one spell or ability, you may choose different libraries for each card drawn. Play from there goes as normal multiplayer melee where you may attack any individual and target any player or other legal target. The winner of the event will determine the seating for the Pauper EDH round, which will be a very important task as seating will be a huge factor in the round.

Pauper EDH

For this round players will be playing with a Pauper Deck. A Pauper Deck is construsted using a uncommon creature for your general (does not have to be legendary) and the remaining 99 cards must be common or have been printed as a common in a set. Players life totals will start at 30 and the general damage rule will be 15 and the poison rule will be 15 as well. This will be a traditional multiplayer game and not a melee free-for-all. Players will only be able to attack the person directly to their left or right and spells can only affect up to 2 people to the left or right of you. The seating will be determined by the winner of the BigBox round. Scoring will constist of points for kills as well as BigBoard Accomplishments which will be listed on the big board and will also we added to this forum as soon as they are set. Points will be important as they will hold value for the final format which will determine our Invitational Winner.

Achievements ($$$ values to be posted at a later date)

Command and Conquer
Deal 15 points of General Damage to a Player

Amass an Army
Control 10 or more creatures from more than 1 source

Overkill
Deal 15+ more damage than required to kill opponent

TWOfer
Kill 2 creatures with 1 spell

Assasin8
Kill 8 or more creatures in 1 turn

Saving Grace
Save a Creature and a Player from dying

General Consensus
Play your General 5 times

Backfire
Have a spell you control be redirected to you or 1 of your permanent

King of the Stack
Cast a spell with at least 3 spells on the stack

Defector
Steal someone's creature and deal damage to them with it

Heads of State
Kill 3 or more different Generals

Focus of Ire
Become attacked by 4 or more opponents

At Death's Doorstep
Survive 3 turns at 5 or less life

Player Hater
Kill an opponent

Trifecta
Kill the same general 3 times

Monster Hunter
Kill an ogre, cyclops, basilisk, efreet, gargoyle, hellion, hydra, kavu, kraken, orc, troll, vampire, werewolf, or zubera

Aerial Assault
Attack with 5 or more flying creatures in one turn

Back from the Dead with a Vengeance
Return a creature from the graveyard to play & attack with it

Summoning Spree
Cast 4 or more creatures in one turn

Spell Slinger
Cast 4 or more spells in one turn

Early Exit
Be the first player eliminated

Pile of Corpses
Have 15 or more cards in your graveyard

First Blood
Be the first player to deal damage to an opponent

First Blood, Part Duex
Be the first player to deal damage to an opponent with their general

Second to None
Be the last player standing

Left for Dead
Have your life total dropped to 1 after a single attack

Last to the Party
Be the last player to cast your general

I See Your Counter and Raise You Another
Counter a counter spell

Draw'n For Dayz
Draw 5 or more cards in a single turn

I Prefer Vanilla
Play a creature with no abilities

Encyclopedia Britannica
Have 10 or more separate keywords on the battlefield at once

I'll Have One of Everything
Control an enchantment, artifact, creature and land and cast both and instant and sorcery in the same turn

Taste the Rainbow
Control a land of each type and 1 permanent of each color(must be separate permanents)

Wife Swap
You and an opponent each exchange control of a permanent

Two Can Play That
Cast a spell an opponent has already cast

Auction Draft
New to the group is Auction Draft. Each player will start the auction with $100 plus any added money that they earned via points in the Pauper EDH round. The auction board will consist of 1, 3, and 5 card packs as well as a Starter Kit that, will have a set amount of cards from a specific Shard, that will all be bid upon by the players. Once a player has spent his money he or she will be able to begin deck construction which will be a 60 card deck and all cards purchased will be available for sideboard. Players will be seeded based upon their tournament performance and we will play a best of 3, single-elimination tournament to crown the champion of the Alphastrike Invitational.

More Information To Come

Last edited by cardboard_connoisseur (2014-08-30 18:44:43)

Re: Alphastrike Invitational - Schedule and Information

1 - That is not traditional multiplayer. wink

2 - I can attack left or right, I can target left or right.  What about something that manipulates all players?  For example, all creatures take one damage, each player sacrifices a creature, each player gains a life, etc.  Do these still work globally?

That is all.

the_astro wrote:

What about something that manipulates all players?

Yes, If only Alex would have given us a clue as to how that would work. One of life's great mysteries I suppose.

cardboard_connoisseur wrote:

spells can only affect up to 2 people to the left or right of you.

#1 - Traditional Multiplayer, in regards to Elder Dragon Highlander, uses rule 803 which allows for the selection of attack left or attack right. Usually you would elect to use just 1 of these but we will be allowing each person to select at the beginning of the combat step. This is the traditional multiplayer that i was refering to.

#2 - Whether a spell or effect is "global" or not, it will still fall under the range restriciton of 2 seats in either direction. For example, if there are 6 of us sitting at the table and you activate pestilience, it will only affect your creatures and the 2 players to your left, and the 2 players to your right, leaving one player unaffected by the effect.

cardboard_connoisseur wrote:

#1 - Traditional Multiplayer, in regards to Elder Dragon Highlander, uses rule 803

Sure, sure, rule 803, but which subsection!

On a more serious note, can we confirm a time frame?

I'm making my yearly trip to ABU tonight so I'll do my best to nail down a pauper edh deck and have it ready to go.

What's the (seemingly) sudden rise of pauper EDH? We have barely played EDH lately and now I've heard pauper EDH mentioned 2 or 3 times in one night and it's an invitational format. Is this the new thing all the cool kids are doing?

Side note, my first EDH deck, after the Great Unsleeving, should be finished tonight. New sleeves, new cards, new general. I'm looking forward to playing it. Hint hint, we need some EDH games to happen soon. Anyone got time for a midweek magic gathering?

During our last outing Bill suggested pauper edh and since Tom and I are magic needs about formats like this it kinda stuck. Plus I was looking fur fun formats that we could play that were fun, unique, cheap and required very little resources that we didn't have access to. So I added it to my trial invitational.

I would like to get the date set, but am still waiting to hear back on peoples availability. Rough thought is a week from this Saturday or the Saturday after that (26th/2nd)

I was hoping to play some magic tomorrow and was originally going to draft at pfg but if we get people together I am down for some edh..

Alex.....This sounds awesome! can't wait for the event. I just hope we can all find a suitable date. The sooner we have one the sooner we can debate it.

On another note I am free most nights this week as the wife is traveling all week. I would love to play some EDH from 7 to ???

All are invited just send me a text so I don't make other plane. Also the kid might want to play as well so just a heads up.

Edh, tomorrow(Tuesday) 7:00, your place?? I am game.

I'll do my best to make Tuesday work.

When the wife is away, the mechanics will play? Trike party at my place?

I will abide by this silly rule, but I won't like it. wink

Does this also mean that Pestilence will die if I don't control a creature and my two neighbors don't control a creature, but someone beyond my range does?  Seems wonky.  Targeting and attacking make sense, global effects less so, but hey, I'm no expert.

I will try to peg down some times.  The next couple of weeks on and off might be dicey.  I have some family matters that are pressing in right now.

It's actually a pretty fun way to play in large group games. Sets up some really sudden swings and odd scenarios.  The one thing that is crappy about it is if you get someone playing combo who just hides in his corner and then suddenly wins. I'm looking at you Bill and Alex. smile

Used_Meat wrote:

I'm looking at you Bill and Alex. smile

Combo!?!?!?!?

I don't even know what that is........

I can't wait for tonight!

Combo Pauper EDH up in the Hizza