Topic: My Red Devotion Wins/Burn OPINIONS PLEASE!

20 Mountain
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Guide
4 Ash Zealot
4 Rift Bolt
4 Vexing Devil
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Flame Slash

Looking for Opinions and Possible improvements!

Re: My Red Devotion Wins/Burn OPINIONS PLEASE!

Fanatic of Mogis isn't actually going to do very well in this deck, as it will be hard for you to generate devotion with such small, inexpensive creatures.  Consider instead Flames of the Blood Hand which will deal usually as much damage as the fanatic would, is cheaper, and also has the upside of preventing lifegain.

Flame Slash can't be aimed at a player, so it's not really a good fit, either.  You should probably replace those with Hellspark Elementals.

Since you should be ditching the Fanatics (unless you want to restructure this deck as a midrangy kind of thing, which will mean almost a complete rebuild), you should also ditch the Burning Trees in favor of skullcrack, once again, more damage, less cost, and prevents lifegain which can wreck a burn deck.

Last edited by drgolovacroxby (2014-07-22 01:45:29)

Hm Ill give my reasonings behind the cards I chose and Tell me if you would rather do the ones you listed just as constructive critisism...
I Chose Mogis because I can keep chaining BTEs into Other creatures such as Keldon marauders and end off with a quick burn and a green floating,And that devotion ends up doing a nice (6-10) burn if I can release Mogis

I Chose Flame slash for removing annoying semifatties so those little goblins and such can make a nice quick strike

I Chose BTEs because they can chain into stuff (Ill admit they are 5/10 at best for a 100% Red deck) but there is always that possiblity!

Thank you for your suggestions which do sound good and they will be playtested!

Last edited by Estanza (2014-07-22 01:54:17)

I do understand the appeal of Fanatic, but there just isn't that much devotion to be had in a deck like this.  The other big problem with him, is that he costs four to drop.  God forbid you start the game with two in hand, and never even get to actually cast him.

With the BTE, while it can be an essentially 'free' creature, it's not that good of a creature for this deck.  It's real job is to generate devotion, which it does pretty well (I play Devotion to Boros in standard) - but - a vanilla 2/2 for two in RDW just doesn't cut the mustard.  A lot of times, you'll be casting it, and having the mana empty from your pool because you have nothing to spend it on.  While it can chain out into dropping a Fanatic for 7 or 8, it's just not consistent enough to rely on, and to give 8 slots in your deck to.

Flame slash is a pretty good removal spell, but it is a sorcery, and it can only target creatures - which makes a dead draw in a lot of scenarios.  I might keep them in the sideboard, but one extra damage isn't really worth all the drawbacks in my opinion.

Honestly, another card to consider is Young Pyromancer.  You'll be surprised how effective YP can be with a good burn suite at your disposal.