Topic: Suggestion - re: adding/ removing cards from lists on trade completion

Currently, when you send a card, you are asked if you'd like to remove it from your inventory and trade list, and when you receive one you are asked if you want to remove it from your wish list and add to your inventory. I find myself not using these features, because the timing is awkward. By the time I get around to marking a card as "sent," I have already removed it from my trade list because it's no longer available for trade to anyone else, and likewise by the time I receive a card that's been sent to me, I have long since removed it from my wish list. My suggestion, then, is as follows:

- When a trade is accepted (or perhaps only once both parties have confirmed their address) the cards should be removed from trade list and wish list.
- When you mark the cards as "sent," (or perhaps also when the trade is confirmed) they should be removed from inventory.
- When you mark the cards as "received," they should be added to inventory.

Thoughts?

Last edited by IronMagus (2014-08-17 17:05:27)

Re: Suggestion - re: adding/ removing cards from lists on trade completion

+1

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

+1

I've suggested to the Deckbox Team in the past that cards be removed from lists (inventory, trade list, and wish list) when a trade is accepted/confirmed. I believe that would make more sense - especially since adding the marketplace. Currently, between the time that you accept the trade and the time that you send the cards, anyone can purchase those said cards. Since buyers are permitted to leave negative feedback when a seller cancels an order, it seems like an unnecessary risk for users that both trade and sell. It was explained to me that there are users who prefer it the way it is now and I have not heard anymore on the subject.

AsymptomaticPyrexia wrote:

It was explained to me that there are users who prefer it the way it is now and I have not heard anymore on the subject.

That's...well normally I would say "absurd," but I'm new around here and don't want to ruffle any feathers, so I'll just go with a more neutral "I find that bizarre," and ask why would anyone prefer to have cards listed in their tradelist or wishlist after they're no longer needed or available?

Last edited by IronMagus (2014-08-18 06:14:02)

Here is the exact explanation I had received:

There is an issue with this still I think. We will soon be working on the promised inventory improvements, so people can have multiple "boxes" for their inventory, so they can better organize things and indicate where each card actually resides in real life. This will ease access to those cards when they need to take them out, etc.

An issue is that if we have that system, when one accepts a trade or a buyer makes a purchase, if we remove the cards from the sellers inventory, he will actually not be able to say "well now let's see where this card is in real life, so I can ship it", because it's not listed anymore in any of the "sub-inventories", as we removed it when the order was placed.

This was two months ago so their views may have changed since then. But honestly, I also find this a bit strange - especially when the same consideration is not given to orders. Cards are removed from your lists as soon as a buyer pays and before you ship. Personally, I prefer consistency amongst trades and orders. Maybe if more users request this change, it would be considered more.

A possible solution would be to have buttons on the trade page for removing/adding cards to/from inventory/wishlist.

As for the issue of cards being available for purchase when they're in a confirmed trade, perhaps the solution is to have cards removed from the tradelist upon trade confirmation, but not the inventory. This would also work for trades so that cards don't accidentally get traded twice. This also navigates around the problem that AP (not to be confused with Adrian Peterson) mentioned of the card(s) getting removed from inventory.

Thoughts?

Edit: I guess I forgot what the OP said after I read the responses. Ignore me.

+1 for OP

Last edited by Kammikaze (2014-08-18 13:17:06)

Agree with OP - cards should be removed from tradelist and wishlist (although perhaps not added/removed from inventory) once trades are accepted.

rfioren wrote:

(although perhaps not added/removed from inventory)

Yes, the removing/adding from inventory could still wait until you send and receive, but the tradelist and wishlist should both update as soon as the trade is confirmed.  (Plus, these already ask you if you'd like to perform the action, so people who don't like it can always click "no," like I'm doing already.  I just think more people would click "yes" if they did it the other way.)

I noticed that Sebi has not commented on this and I've encountered this issue more than I'd like.

For example, recently I agreed to a trade with a new user with zero feedback. I asked him to send first and he agreed. So from now until I receive his cards (and send out my side), the cards that I already agreed to trade to him are still sitting in my tradelist ready to be sold at any moment. For now, the work around is to manually remove the cards or to hit the "I have sent the cards" option prematurely to automatically remove the cards. Neither option is really desirable. I strongly urge Deckbox to correct this as it presents potential inventory errors for users that both sell and trade.

Yep, it's definitely on my list... the VERY LONG list, haha smile

More seriously... I want to fix this, and I did make an attempt once by putting the buttons there so users can manually do the actions, but there were some confusing cases with canceled trades etc, and I ended up postponing it. Will get to it soon!

Thanks for the reply, Sebi!

sebi wrote:

More seriously... I want to fix this, and I did make an attempt once [...] but there were some confusing cases with canceled trades etc, and I ended up postponing it. Will get to it soon!

I think the simplest and best option is just to break it into multiple actions.  When you lock in a trade by confirming your address, just (give the option to) remove the cards from wishlists and tradelists at that time, but don't mess with any inventories.  Later, when you send or receive the cards, you can add or remove them from the inventory as appropriate, but don't touch the lists (because they've already been dealt with.)  It doesn't make any sense to alter the inventory before you've actually sent/received, but waiting until this time to remove them from trade/wish lists is just way too late for it to be at all useful.

Last edited by IronMagus (2014-09-18 16:37:48)

+100

This needs to be fixed as a high priority... I accidentally traded the same card to multiple traders because of this.

Right now I'm working around this by marking as shipped as quickly as I can. Hopefully this won't result in people questioning if I'm faking it to be seen as a "fast shipper"...