Topic: Sent package in limbo. What are my options to track it down?

(Hope this is the right forum).
I have recently sent a trade with tracking (via paypal.com/shipping). Everything went fine until delivery when the tracking status changed to:
Your item was undeliverable as addressed at (time/date) in (location). It is being returned if appropriate information is available
This happened last Thursday. No updates since. From what I can tell, the delivery address was correct, as given by the trade partner).
From what I read online, this can either mean that the package will be returned, or it can mean that it ended up on the wrong delivery truck and will be redelivered.
Question 1 is: how do I find out more about what is going on with the package?
Question 2 is: what is the trade etiquette in this case? Cancel the trade (and then what happens if the package is delivered?) or wait until the package shows up at either of us?

Thanks for the responses in advance!

Re: Sent package in limbo. What are my options to track it down?

First and foremost be sure to communicate with your trading partner.  I've seen enough postings in the BTRs just because people didn't take the time to talk to one another.  Make sure he/she is informed of the hiccup and keep them in the loop every few days, even if your update is "I still haven't heard anything back."

Second, do NOT cancel the trade.  Keep it open until all parties have received their cards, or, in the event something goes terribly wrong, the trade has to be annulled or something.

Third, go talk to the post office.  I'm assuming since you are referencing tracking through PayPal this means the cards were sent via the USPS.  They should be able to provide some additional information regarding WHY the cards were deemed undeliverable.  My guess would be that either the address is incorrect or there was an issue regarding packaging/size and postage (again those may seem unlikely, but clearly something went wrong).

Fourth, based on what you've posted, it would seem they are being returned to you.  If that is the case, once they come back, then just be ready to go resend them.  Double, no, triple or quadruple check the address given by your trade partner (both with them and based on what they entered) and even consider using a different courier if you want to be extra sure.

So the tl;dr version:
1) Go talk to the USPS, they should be able to tell you something.
2) Don't cancel the trade until both parties have confirmed that they have received the cards or until instructed otherwise by a Deckbox moderator.

Thanks! I submitted an inquiry to USPS, hopefully they'll be able to give more info.
Another question: what is the most efficient way to get useful info from USPS? I just used their customer service pages on the website.

Call Customer service. Its not MUCH better than just using the website but it helps when you get an actual response from a person.