Topic: A bit of fuzzy fun...

So here's one of my current favorite decks that I've put together.  It's based on token generation, and a LOT of it.  I know the most glaring problem at the moment is flying defense (for which I will be getting a Spidersilk Armor or two).  But I'm open to whatever other suggestions anyone might have.  And yes, one of the pre-requisites of this deck is that you bring a calculator wink.

http://deckbox.org/sets/133527

At current there are numerous win strategies. 

1) Dump a ton of squirrels via Squirrel Nest, Chatter of the Squirrel, Acorn Harvest and Deranged Hermit to simply overrun the enemy.  I'm sure many of you have seen squirrel decks and the threat of 15-20 squirrels is nasty, but when you throw in Parallel Lives (PL for future reference) things get messy and fast (Nevermind when you have two or three of them out - that's right, with two of them each tap of the Squirrel Nest gives you FOUR of the nutty li'l bastards.  Parallel Evolution triples your squirrels with only one PL out, and will make six-times your squirrels with two PLs).

2) Follow strategy above but use either Squirrel Mob, Adaptive Automaton, Deranged Hermit, or Coat of Arms to make the squirrels BIGGER than anything else on the battlefield.  Rampaging ensues.

3) Play for a stalemate while pumping out millions of the fuzzballs.  Then drop Epic Struggle and laugh at the fact that it needs only 20 creatures for you to win.  20?! What is this? Amateur hour?

4) Go about the above routes, but throw a Lure on a creature and laugh while their perfect defense chases one squirrel while the others go to town.

Lastly, for anyone who doesn't see it, one of the best squirrel generators is to enchant a creature in the deck with both Druid's Call and Lure, attack, let it get smashed, but then regenerate it with either Asceticism or Swarmyard.  Even without Parallel Lives in play, I've seen my gf pop out over 65 squirrels in a single turn this way.

Anyway, I'm open to thoughts on what should be considered either for the sideboard or even to change things up.

Re: A bit of fuzzy fun...

If you're willing to trade for some pricey stuff I would go for earthcraft add a squirrel's nest and boom, infinite tokens because earthcraft taps the tokens summoning sickness is ignored, that's a combo I use and love, nothing more satisfying than doing thousands of damage with squirrels smile

Also if you have them sideboard Arbor Elfs rather than Ley Druids, 1/3 the cost and you're running mono-green, I dont think you'll have the issue of untapping swarmyards very often

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-06-12 04:57:55)

That is just SICK.  I didn't even know Earthcraft was out there.  That makes the squirrel deck into a possible 4th turn kill even in multiplayer formats.  Sure it's about $10 per Earthcraft, but I can see where picking up two of them wouldn't be that bad (especially when some people out there are dropping $100 for a dual land...).

Thanks on that front!  Any other thoughts?  Do you run a similar squirrel deck?

Not at all, in fact I run almost all EDH decks, I only have one that isn't, this combo is from my Ghave token EDH deck ( http://deckbox.org/sets/173198 ) if you're interested in tokens

There are a few more infinite combos I use for tokens

Tatterkite+ any Sac engine +Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Requiem Angel

Presence of Gond + Sunstrike Legionnare/Midnight Guard

Many tokens are fun smile

(Sidenote I'm pretty new to the site, how do you link the card in text?)

Also I don't like the adaptive automatons just because of flavor issues, however if you can find one i think it's worth including a Krosan Beast, just for fun smile otherwise I'm not aware of there being much love for squirrel tribal, you could use acorn catapult, but it's kinda slow for this deck, it is useful on occasion however

I would include triumph of the hordes personally, because it gives you another, lower damage win-con so incase you don't go infinite you'd have a better chance of taking out more than one opponent. Also I would drop Garruk if you do get an earthcraft or two, in this deck he's semi-useless beyond an extra token or 2 per turn IMO

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-06-12 17:25:00)

When you type out a post, there are some icons up above the box. Just highlight the word and then push the "M" for Magic linkage.

Or you can use the code [m tg]fling[/m tg]  -----> Fling    (without the space, of course.)

Hope that helps!

Thanks! Now people won't have to copy and paste and I can actually help

One other comment about the deck, with Epic Struggle it seems like you have no protection for it, if you use this deck with any regularity people will start using enchantment removal, but the only thing I can think of to protect it in green is Privileged Position and that's just as easy too remove

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-06-12 17:41:11)