Topic: Tokens should be differentiated based on color, type, abilities, & P/T

Glad to see that tokens are in the database, but it seems they're only classified by their name. This is troublesome, because there are many cases of different tokens having the same name. 'Soldier', for example, has 4 different kinds:

1/1 red Soldier creature
1/1 white Soldier creature
1/1 red and white Soldier creature
1/1 white Soldier enchantment creature

https://deckbox.org/mtg/Soldier currently combines all these versions into a single card entry.

If I want some 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens and don't care about which version I get, I can add them to my wishlist with the edition field blank and hope people understand my assumption, but how would anyone know whether I'm not looking for the 1/1 red and white version instead? This ambiguity could be avoided via a separate entry for each unique type of Soldier. You could also preserve their ease of searchability through labels such as:

Soldier [1/1 red]
Soldier [1/1 white]
Soldier [1/1 red/white]
Soldier [1/1 white enchantment]

This way, everyone knows exactly which type of token is being discussed and typing "Soldier" into the search bar will display the different types. Problem solved!

Last edited by BetweenWalls (2015-07-11 16:38:48)

Re: Tokens should be differentiated based on color, type, abilities, & P/T

It seems like each token should be a separate printing similar to how basic lands are handled.

Kammikaze wrote:

It seems like each token should be a separate printing similar to how basic lands are handled.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Tokens are already separated by their print version like basic lands. I'm saying that similar tokens should be GROUPED rather than completely separated - each kind of Soldier should get a separate 'card' entry, in other words.

Last edited by BetweenWalls (2014-11-08 02:25:27)

BetweenWalls wrote:
Kammikaze wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Tokens are already separated by their print version like basic lands. I'm saying that similar tokens should be GROUPED rather than completely separated - each kind of Soldier should get a separate 'card' entry, in other words.

Looking at your original post again it appears as though I didn't read it all the way through, sorry about that. tongue I agree that it would make sense to group different token printings together based on characteristics.

+1

In general, I am blunt and to the point. I apologize in advance if I appear mean or rude.

I am the Community Admin for the CSUN Magic Players Community. I also sometimes help people with technical issues.
My Wishlist | Featured Deck

Friendly bump. Any word on whether something like this will be considered?

Sadly my todo list is very full with things, and this is pretty minor I think. Not sure when I will get to it, can't promise anything soon.

I'm currently working to improve my physical collection's organization (and hopefully get back into trading), and came across this issue again. It seems trading for tokens may still be kind of a hassle, since different tokens with the same name can't be differentiated in many cases. (except for specific printings - but then the trade matcher may be too strict to be useful)

Last edited by BetweenWalls (2016-07-19 21:02:18)