Topic: FNM beginner budget

Hello,

I've found this deck on tappedout. I am an overall beginner in MTG and only been playing with the wife and friends, but I'd like to get started maybe in FNMs.
Would this deck be a good start, considering I really enjoy playing black and white colors, and don't want to spend a too big amount of money yet?

https://deckbox.org/sets/831527

Thank you.

Re: FNM beginner budget

Yes. It should work fine. But if you can get your hands on them, I would suggest sideboarding some removal spells (like Murder) and maybe more lifegain (like Congregate) to deal with frustrating opponents (Murder for big green creatures that you won't like, Congregate to deal with the inevitable token-ramp decks).

kaseron wrote:

Yes. It should work fine. But if you can get your hands on them, I would suggest sideboarding some removal spells (like Murder) and maybe more lifegain (like Congregate) to deal with frustrating opponents (Murder for big green creatures that you won't like, Congregate to deal with the inevitable token-ramp decks).

Thank you smile

what format are you playing at FNM?  if it's standard, murder isn't legal

you'd want heroe's downfall /utter end in your colors.   Also, Caves of kolios and mana confluence would be good to come in untapped especially in an aggro deck.

what synergy (other than warrior) are you getting with tormented hero?  you can't trigger heroic with anything you have in the deck atm.

elpablo wrote:

what format are you playing at FNM?  if it's standard, murder isn't legal

you'd want heroe's downfall /utter end in your colors.   Also, Caves of kolios and mana confluence would be good to come in untapped especially in an aggro deck.

what synergy (other than warrior) are you getting with tormented hero?  you can't trigger heroic with anything you have in the deck atm.

Thanks for your feedback! Indeed, I try to stick with standard, I just noticed as well for murder.

No particular synergy for tormented hero unfortunately, but I read it is recommended to replace it by Bloodsoaked Champion.

I understand I will have to add more expensive cards to the deck in the future, but I'm just getting started, so for now I'm just gathering some info on different decks to have a more or less correct base smile if you have some more recommendations on different decks, don't hesitate, I'd be very happy to hear them! I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cards, I'm sure you understand big_smile

Thank you again!

The fact that Murder isn't standard anymore saddens me almost as much as the loss of Doom Blade. But there are still plenty of good removal spells.

And yes, Champion is a better placement in your deck, especially since you intend to aggro.

This is a tournament winning deck from GP Santiago it got 3rd/4th out of 660 players.  It's also about $60us on deck box probably cheaper if you shop around.  This deck will also be valid until the new set comes out in February, but even then there's always a cheap red deck to play.

The BW strategy you're going for is probably okay, but just needs so many more expensive cards to be better.  I highly recommend giving the below a shot. It's in the same vein that you're going for now, even though the colors are different.

18 LANDS
18 Mountain

20 CREATURES
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Frenzied Goblin
1 Arena Athlete

14 INSTANTS and SORC.
4 Titan's Strength
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Coordinated Assault
2 Hordeling Outburst
2 Lightning Strike

8 OTHER SPELLS
4 Hammerhand
4 Dragon Mantle

SIDEBOARD
2 Lightning Strike
3 Searing Blood
3 Peak Eruption
2 Magma Spray
2 Harness by Force
3 Eidolon of the Great revels

elpablo wrote:

This is a tournament winning deck from GP Santiago it got 3rd/4th out of 660 players.  It's also about $60us on deck box probably cheaper if you shop around.  This deck will also be valid until the new set comes out in February, but even then there's always a cheap red deck to play.

The BW strategy you're going for is probably okay, but just needs so many more expensive cards to be better.  I highly recommend giving the below a shot. It's in the same vein that you're going for now, even though the colors are different.

18 LANDS
18 Mountain

20 CREATURES
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Frenzied Goblin
1 Arena Athlete

14 INSTANTS and SORC.
4 Titan's Strength
4 Stoke the Flames