Topic: Bitcoins

What does anyone else think about using bitcoins for purchases? No paypal fees. Fast transaction times. No messing around with different currencies. Easy to implement and easy to use. Personally, I would love if this site would/could implement bitcoins as an alternative to fiat currencies.
Thoughts, comments?

Re: Bitcoins

Pewter wrote:

What does anyone else think about using bitcoins for purchases? No paypal fees. Fast transaction times. No messing around with different currencies. Easy to implement and easy to use. Personally, I would love if this site would/could implement bitcoins as an alternative to fiat currencies.
Thoughts, comments?

Bitcoin is ridiculous and nearly impossible to transfer from fake money to money backed by real governments. At least you can spend money acquired from PayPal in real stores.

Seriously, try changing your Bitcoin to dollars.

Kizudarake wrote:
Pewter wrote:

Thoughts, comments?

Bitcoin is ridiculous and nearly impossible to transfer from fake money to money backed by real governments. At least you can spend money acquired from PayPal in real stores.

Seriously, try changing your Bitcoin to dollars.

Why do you need to?  ABU games takes Bitcoin.

I think it depends on exposure, doesn't it? I have no issues with bitcoin exchanges. For me they are fast and reliable. The money is as real as you can get, with uptake of bitcoins increasing dramatically. Have a read of https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/ncr-say … apple-pay/
There is little doubt bitcoins are here to stay, mainly because of the transparency and reduced costs in transactions. Once you have used them, you will like them.

+1, bitcoins would be awesome.  Please make an option to accept them smile

They are far better than paypal!

I would rather not receive bitcoins as payment for an order. Echoing Kiz above, I'd rather just have the cash. That being said, some sellers might be ok with it so if it were added as a payment option it would have to be an opt-in.

Kammikaze wrote:

I would rather not receive bitcoins as payment for an order. Echoing Kiz above, I'd rather just have the cash. That being said, some sellers might be ok with it so if it were added as a payment option it would have to be an opt-in.

Yes, 100% it should be opt-in.  If you don't have any experience with btc then you would not even be able to receive them.

If buttcoins became acceptable currency on Deckbox, then Deckbox should accept the buttcoins and pay the equivalent value out in cash to the seller. Over the Internet. We could have a (M)agic: (T)he (G)athering (O)nline currency e(X)change!

Except for the part where there's a higher percentage of shady folk involved in the unregulated Bitcoin market because it's unregulated, and the minute that someone got screwed in a deal on here, there'd be a huge amount of drama because you can't do chargebacks on bitcoins, and the value of a Bitcoin is more likely to fluctuate between when the buyer submits the transaction and when the seller sends out the card, so it's harder to put an actual price on the card pegged to dollars, so Sebi has to either put a lot more work into maintaining basically two marketplaces and two register systems, and at this point, if you absolutely have to use bitcoins to buy magic cards, just go do it at ABU games, Jesus Christ.

Kizudarake wrote:

If buttcoins became acceptable currency on Deckbox, then Deckbox should accept the buttcoins and pay the equivalent value out in cash to the seller. Over the Internet. We could have a (M)agic: (T)he (G)athering (O)nline currency e(X)change!

Except for the part where there's a higher percentage of shady folk involved in the unregulated Bitcoin market because it's unregulated, and the minute that someone got screwed in a deal on here, there'd be a huge amount of drama because you can't do chargebacks on bitcoins, and the value of a Bitcoin is more likely to fluctuate between when the buyer submits the transaction and when the seller sends out the card, so it's harder to put an actual price on the card pegged to dollars, so Sebi has to either put a lot more work into maintaining basically two marketplaces and two register systems, and at this point, if you absolutely have to use bitcoins to buy magic cards, just go do it at ABU games, Jesus Christ.

Lets take a look, what do we have here?

Buttcoins?  Cmon you can do better than that?

Why pay out the equivalent in cash?  Sort of defeats the purpose, and not everyone wants their btc converted into cash.

Shady folk?  You mean like Dell, Newegg, Microsoft, oh yeah there are a bunch of banks investing in blockchain tech, I guess those guys are shady.  So I am a crook because I have/use bitcoins?  You understand that it is unregulated and decentralized by design, and what  the advantages are over older more expensive services like cc and paypal?

Anyone who uses btc is aware of the fluctuation, which is why it should be opt in only.  But pretty much everyone who is familiar with/uses btc is comfortable with this, especially if they are not all that interested in converting back to fiat.

You can't do chargebacks of course but you can 1. transact with reputable buyers/sellers, and/or set up a holding account from which btc are released upon receipt of delivery.  Not a bad thing considering paypal is pretty much set up for buyers to scam sellers if they want.  I have been spending cryptos drama-free for quite some time.

Not sure what Jesus has to do with it, but clearly ABU games and a few others can use bitcoins, so I am not sure why it is so impossible to use?  But again if you hate them so much you could just not transact with them.  Why limit everyone else because you don't like them?  Just don't opt in.

Of course there are more important upgrades for the site at the moment.  But they won't know what we want if we don't tell them.  And if the general consensus is against btc, then they will know.  But if there is a demand for it, they may benefit from integrating it into the site.  There is no way to know without having some sort of discussion about it.

Actually, I have a plugin that autocorrects bitcoin to buttcoin, simply because I find it impossible to take seriously anyone speaking of bitcoin as being the most amazing thing ever, and that it's the savior of the economy, and I didn't go back and correct it in every spot. You'll notice I did go back and fix it this time.

In the passage you quoted of mine, if you'd go back and read it, I said that there was a "higher percentage of shady folk" involved in Bitcoin. You'll notice I didn't say everyone involved in Bitcoin was a criminal. You mentioned Dell, newegg and Microsoft accept Bitcoin, as does ABU Games, as mentioned in a previous post. You also mentioned that banks are interested in it, too, but you didn't mention that some malware that locks up your computer if you don't pay them accepts Bitcoin as well. You also don't mention the Bitcoin exchanges that have shut down and disappeared with peoples' bitcoins, or that the main currency used on Silk Road was Bitcoin. Here's one writeup on a scam from the New York Times. http://nytimes.com/2015/07/26/business/ … =&_r=0
I'm going into this assuming you personally, and most, if not all, of the people you deal with are not scammers or shady folk. Please don't respond as though I accused you of being a thief.

I was using Jesus Crist as a term of exasperation because of all the possible drawbacks of trying to set up a small business to be able to use bitcoins. It seems like too much of a headache to try to set up a marketplace for, considering there's one coder running this site, and he's trying to support himself off of the site, and if you really want to use Bitcoin to buy a magic card, you can go to ABUgames.

I suggested the automatic conversion of bitcoins to cash because it'd be easier to set up a payment system that treated bitcoins as an alternative form of payment, and not have to set up a completely different payment system that deals in Bitcoin exclusively. If it's all on one payment system, then it's a simpler site, with less to go wrong, not to mention, if the site converts one way, Bitcoin to cash, then Sebi would be able to also go the other way, for sellers who prefer to be paid in Bitcoin in lieu of cash.

There's also that the site has its' own selling fees, and the site may not want to end up having to turn them from Bitcoin into actual money that can be spent literally anywhere.

Ultimately, my problem with this site switching to accept Bitcoin is that the site is still really small, with 92k+ of registered users, of which I'd have to assume a very large portion are inactive. The one seller that is most active is adventureson, and they've only made 788 total sales since the marketplace went up. The marketplace is very low traffic, and, as such, the Bitcoin Deckbox marketplace would involve a much smaller subset of users. Implementing Bitcoin transactions seems like it would create way more trouble than it is worth for the Deckbox team.

It is not the most amazing thing ever, and not the savior of the economy.  But I have never had my funds randomly frozen by my bitcoin wallet like I have with paypal (I got it unfrozen but it was a pain, and now they have scans of my id docs and I am sure a hacker will never get those).  Plus the fees for bitcoin range from zero to fractions of a penny (or a few pennies if you really want), compared to a flat % and much higher fees that other payment methods use.  Right now everyone pays an extra 2-3% tax on everything, just most people don't realize it.  I feel the advantages of bitcoin for eCommerce are significant, however I do see your point about a small business with only one coder having trouble implementing it.

There is no shortage of crooks out there (meet any Nigerian princes lately?) and bitcoin is merely an alternate currency they can use.  But the big crooks (goldman sachs et. al.) still use good old dollars.

It is true that exchanges have closed down, the most significant being Mt. Gox.  However Gox didn't almost cause a global collapse of currency like regular banks did.  You could say they caused a collapse of btc but I would say they caused a speculative bubble to pop, and the price is still higher than when that bubble started.  Did you know that Paulson was CEO of goldman while they were doing the derivative nonsense, and when he got appointed to secretary he was allowed to sell his stock tax free?  And then when the crap hit the fan, who got bailed out and who didn't?  Its almost like Paulson knew what was going to happen.  There are plenty of crooks out there, just not all of them go to jail.  The point is that bitcoin will not change anything, it is just an alternate form of currency.  There will always be crooks.  The difference is that with btc you can be your own bank if you want.  So if the banks have liquidity problems and flat out refuse to let you have your money for a down payment on your house for example (yeah it happened to me), then btc starts to look pretty good.

It is true that silk road used bitcoin, but actually it is less anonymous than cash because of the block chain.  Even a mixer can be unraveled if someone wants to try hard enough.  It would be far easier for me to buy drugs and prostitutes or whatever with cash than with btc.  Same theme: the crooks are always there even if they choose to use a different currency.

Scams and malware come in all shapes and sizes, bitcoin wont change that. 

You might be right that the site is too small for bitcoin to make sense.  But this site (which I only found recently) is imo superior to other sites in several ways, so I won't be surprised if it becomes more popular eventually.  My favorite is the lack of an insertion fee, so I can sell nearly worthless cards to someone who might want them in stead of just throwing them away.