Topic: Another Standard deck

So I figured with infect around I should put together some sort of deck, but I decided to go Mono-Green, mostly because I haven't seen it done, I know it hasn't been done because green is not even close to the best infect color, but I have alot of green infect cards and I wanted to throw something together, I came up with this: http://deckbox.org/sets/193306 , I'm also not planning to put much money into it since it's destined to be bad but I figure for a 20ish dollar deck it's actually half decent

The idea is to make my opponent unable to block my creatures in one of three ways, Lure, Tangle Angler, or Champion of Lambholt + Strata Scythe or else go for the classic Overrun.

I had been wanting to do a Mono-Deck to use/abuse strata scythe since it seems like a cool concept and so green's land accel made sense, but I never ended up putting any land accel in...

Thoughts? I'm willing to trade/buy but nothing expensive and I will probably keep this deck since it seems fun so feel free to suggest non-standard cards as well smile

Edit: I also think it's funny that my mono-deck is technically 5 color, lol

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-06-30 01:27:41)

Re: Another Standard deck

If you're going mono green infect, why not use Phyrexian Swarmlord?  That thing would be mean when combined with Champion of Lambholt.  As another thought, you could include Grafted Exoskeleton to equip the Champions, both pumping them up and giving them infect at the same time.  I'd also say to throw in some means to get Putrefax out of the graveyard, as that's an even stronger move if you can repeat it.

Second, where are the Contagion Clasps and Contagion Engines?

Lastly, I'd suggest some sort of life gaining mechanism for, as you have numerous cards that will cost you 2 life per mana symbol to play.  Without anything to gain life, you're doing half your opponent's job for them.

Lots of good points, I'm going back and forth between the swarmlord and my hydra, the hydra is more aggressive but if the game is going long the Lord makes alot more sense, so i think you're right, I have my Putrefax's as t5 aggressive cards.

In regards to bringing back Putrefax, i've considered Postmortem Lunge since I've got a couple sitting around but I'm going to test the deck without it first just to see what's working and what isn't and if I'm needing another swing with one.

The issue I have with the Exoskeleton is just that it's only useful for one card in my deck, yes it's a +2 attack + toughness boost but if they kill the exoskeleton they just got a two for one at the price of one naturalize or the upcoming Smelt

Life gain is spot on, perhaps Druidic Satchel? Either lands for me, Tokens for my Champion, or lifegain, seems like a perfect fit for this one, otherwise Sheltering Word to protect my Champions, or Sylvok Lifestaff especially for my putrefax in that same thread I'm going to go with Beast Within rather than dismember especially since it's more flexible.

Lastly for the Contagion stuffs, they're just too expensive to cast, this deck is too aggressive for the clasp at least, the Engine might be worth including for late-game getting in those last few counters, but this deck is supposed to be very aggressive and pay with my life since I need to win before it matters.

I've made a couple adjustments, I put in some satchels, an engine, the swarmlord, and went down on a couple cards that I had

Forgot to ask about Nightshade peddler, it's very nice with lure of course and at least pretty much demands removal, thoughts?

Last edited by imsully2 (2012-06-30 02:32:47)

Looks good.

The only thought behind the exoskeleton is to give the Champion infect.

Nightshade Peddler can be nice with Lure, but keep in mind that the creature still has to actually damage the creature(s) for deathtouch to work.  Otherwise, you could rock Taunting Elf with Nightshade Peddler to get some good laughs.

I do like exoskeletons but I doubt i'd swing with my Champion regardless, since I don't want to risk it dying

I forgot about the damage, darn, well I still like the peddlers, perhaps Kusari-Gama? It would work extremely well even with a normal infect creature, especially with the (crappy) firebreathing effect

Why not swing with the Champion?  That's the whole point of it, to power it up a bit and it's unblockable... give that infect with a power of 5 or 6 and you're really messing them up.

Now if you still want to do the board clearing lure effect you're going to have to break out of standard, as I believe it still would work with the old Thicket Basilisk or even more disgustingly with The Wretched, but alas, those are days of old.

The key for the Kusari-Gama is whether its effect will count as combat damage, otherwise you're still a no-go with deathtouch.

Actually deathtouch doesn't require combat damage that's why giving Pingers (i.e. Cunning Sparkmage) deathtouch is so sick. "Any amount of damage this deals to a creature is enough to destroy it" therefore the Gama would in fact be a DOJ for my opponent every turn.

I do have a The Wretched, but that makes me think more of Scythe of the Wretched, broad wipe, then take everything I just killed, but at that point I feel like I should be making an entirely new deck based around that, which I might just do smile

I guess my fear with the Champion is just that I don't want someone to pop an instant that beefs up their blockers enough to kill my guy and then my stuff isn't unblockable the next turn, but if it has a Strata Scythe and a Grafted Exoskeleton, it could be GG from one swing of the champion even without any other creatures so I'll try to fit a skeleton in