Topic: [Standard] Jeskai lifegain for FNM

Ok, tweaking this deck for awhile. Mainly been working on the spells used inside the deck.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Plan on taking the deck to upcoming FNM game day.

Deck seems to work best being aggressive. Not much need to block or defend because of the lifegain in the deck. Using all the 1 or 2 drop spells allow you to really pump up the creatures and do massive dmg and potentially gain a lot of life. Essentially it does a lot of 1 shot kills. If they are not one shotted it will do massive dmg while hopefully gaining you plenty of life.

Main Deck - Total cards - 60

Creatures
Monastery Mentor x 2 (currently only own 1)
Sage of the Inward Eye x 2
Seeker of the Way x 4
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest x 2
Prognostic Sphinx x 2
Instants
Gods Willing x 3
Jeskai Charm x 2
Temur Battle Rage x 2
Valorous Stance x 3
Lightning Strike x 3
Sorcery
End Hostilities x 2
Treasure Cruise x 1
Enchantments
Citadel Siege x 1
Spear of Heliod x 1
Jeskai Ascendancy x 3
Monastery Siege x 1
Planeswalkers
Ajani, Steadfast x 2
Land
Island x 4
Mountains x 4 (Running 5 since I'm missing temple)
Mystic Monastery x 3
Plains x 4 (Running 5 since I'm missing temple)
Temple of Enlightenment x 3
Temple of Epiphany x 3 (Currently only own 1) (Running Swiftwater cliffs as replacement)
Temple of Triumph x 3 (Currently only own 2)

Sideboard - Total Cards - 15

Creatures
Heliod, God of the Sun x 1
Soulfire Grand Master x 1
Instants
Fated Retribution x 1
Deicide x 2
Feat of Resistance x 2
Triton Tactics x 2
Jeskai Charm x 1
Triton Tactics x 2
Sorcery
Mass Calcify x 1
Enchantments
Citadel Siege x 1
Aqueous Form x 1
Planeswalkers

Last edited by LtBeefy (2015-02-10 04:59:53)

Re: [Standard] Jeskai lifegain for FNM

Greetings. The deck seems solid, but I don't see the point of the Soulfire Grand master. It is in this deck a basic 2 mana 2/2 Lifelink that can sometimes give your spell back. Though the concept of the deck is life gain, i think it is worthed to switch it out and add in a god's willing, for a complete playset of a card that can protect, scry and trigger prowess with 1 mana. The other thing is that it might have little creatures and too much buffing, as sometimes you can get stuck with a hand of combat tricks and no creatures in hand or board, with 13 creatures and 9/15 combat tricks.

Sorry for my bad english,
WarriorPP

Liked the Soulfire Grand master for getting the spell back, don't really use him for lifegain. Though I see your point. And yes, the creatures can be a problem at times with having so few of them. If anything I'd remove triton tactics and insert I think either jeskai barricade (for the flash) or dragon bell monk to raise my creature count to 15.

Last edited by LtBeefy (2015-02-09 18:47:42)

Yes maybe the Jeskai Barricade is the best option. You don't also have many creatures to take part in the Alesha, Who Smiles at Death ability, so she seems a bit clumsy. An option I also thought of (but its a bit off-budget) is adding some more Monastery Mentors, as they get you some tokens to work off with your noncreature spells and with the Jeskai Ascendancy.

My list would be:
Creatures - 14
Monastery Mentor x 4
Sage of the Inward Eye x 4
Seeker of the Way x 4
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest x 2

Instants - 14
Gods Willing x 4
Jeskai Charm x 3
Valorous Stance x 3
Lightning Strike x 4 (2 mana proc prowess and can remove somethings)

Sorcery - 3
End Hostilities x 2
Treasure Cruise x 1

Enchantments - 5
Citadel Siege x 1
Jeskai Ascendancy x 3
Monastery Siege x 1

Land- 24
Island x 4
Mountain x 4
Mystic Monastery x 3
Plains x 4
Temple of Enlightenment x 3
Temple of Epiphany x 3
Temple of Triumph x 3

Explanation: Adds a bit more consistency and non-creature spells are more versetaile so that even if you have no creatures you can cast them and they will be usefull. It is a good idea for a deck, I might run it someday.

WarriorPP

EDIT: I built it in my profile: https://deckbox.org/sets/900915

Last edited by WarriorPP (2015-02-09 20:52:46)

Just edited my deck. And I did add Lightning Strike to help deal with creatures that Valorous Stance couldn't deal with. Alesha, Who Smiles at Death hits all the Seeker of the Way, Monastery Mentor, and potentially Soulfire Grand Master.  And yeah adding Monastery Mentor x 4 is too pricey, doing 2 is within range though. I also added in Prognostic Sphinx as current place holder till I get a 2nd Monastery Mentor, the scry 3 will help a lot.

Added in Keranos, God of Storms since once he is out it will allow me to ping creatures or planeswalkers if needed.

Also changed up my sideboard.
Added Ajani Steadfast because of his +1 ability which gives lifelink, vigilance, firststrike, and +1/+1
Added Heliod, God of the Sun gives my creatures vigilance and if needed I can create a 2/1 token
Added Spear of Heliod able to kill creatures who deal me dmg
Added Fated Retribution for those decks that run planeswalkers
Also moved Soulfire Grand Master, Triton Tactics, and a Citadel Siege into the sideboard from the main deck

If I did remove Alesha, Who Smiles at Death from the deck I think I'd either replace her with Monastery Swiftspear or Jeskai Barricade. Though once those cards are in it gives Alesha, Who Smiles at Death more worth within the deck.

Last edited by LtBeefy (2015-02-09 21:44:52)

My bad, thought Alesha only hitter creatures with CMC 2 or less and not power 2 or less. The changes seem better, but I'll make a full review tomorrow, as I don't have much time left today.

Sorry for my bad English,
WarriorPP

WarriorPP wrote:

My bad, thought Alesha only hitter creatures with CMC 2 or less and not power 2 or less. The changes seem better, but I'll make a full review tomorrow, as I don't have much time left today.

Sorry for my bad English,
WarriorPP

She does hit creatures with only 2 power or less. In fact I have just removed her from the deck and replaced her and did more edits to the deck. Ill update the list before I head off to bed.

Ok yea seems preety solid right now. There's only one thing that bothers me, wich is the consistency of draws, but that is at everyones flavor. Have you tested it out?

WarriorPP

I've been testing this deck as I've been updating it here. Only some small changed in the deck I use due to me not having enough copies of the cards.
The lightning strike has been a great help in the deck. I think it needs a couple more creatures as I can get times where I draw none. But besides that it runs pretty well especially since I can ignore blocking since I generally gain a lot of life every time I attack.

Tho I haven't fought it against an extreme control deck yet as people I can test it against are not running control right now.

Last edited by LtBeefy (2015-02-10 22:10:52)