Topic: R/w tribal soldier edh deck

Hey everyone,

So currently this is what I have built. I know there are a few cards that need to go out of this (I have a few blue hate just because my buddy I play with has a lot of blue). But am currently looking at how to buff this deck idea out and really make it playable in events. The sideboard cards I do not have yet, but I know should go into the deck, so just need to get them. Any advice on how to really give this deck legs?

https://deckbox.org/sets/897362

Re: R/w tribal soldier edh deck

So, first off, I see that almost all of the cards are from more recent sets.  This isn't a problem, but I would suggest looking through some of the older sets as there are a considerable number of really good soldiers to work with.

Second, are you playing primarily 1-on-1 or are you playing multiplayer games?  That will determine the sorts of cards you want to slide in here.

I'd suggest tossing out the abzan counter scheme as it's a bit too conditional and requires more work than it's worth.  Things like Door of Destinies, Glorious Anthem, Legion's Initiative, and the like all pump without counters needed.  They're more resilient to other players' disruption.  I'd also suggest looking into sliding Elspeth, Sun's Champion into the deck for even more soldiers.  Note the forthcoming duel deck for Elspeth actually will have a number of cards you would benefit from, i.e., Veteran Armorer and Veteran Swordsmith.

I could go on, but I'd also suggest looking for other builds out there to identify cards you'll want to go pick up over-time.  For instance, this build, http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-soldier-edh/, uses Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran as the commander for extra pumps.  And, more generally, that build sticks to the tribal theme more closely.

Good luck!

Re: R/w tribal soldier edh deck

So, first off, I see that almost all of the cards are from more recent sets.  This isn't a problem, but I would suggest looking through some of the older sets as there are a considerable number of really good soldiers to work with.

Second, are you playing primarily 1-on-1 or are you playing multiplayer games?  That will determine the sorts of cards you want to slide in here.

I'd suggest tossing out the abzan counter scheme as it's a bit too conditional and requires more work than it's worth.  Things like Door of Destinies, Glorious Anthem, Legion's Initiative, and the like all pump without counters needed.  They're more resilient to other players' disruption.  I'd also suggest looking into sliding Elspeth, Sun's Champion into the deck for even more soldiers.  Note the forthcoming duel deck for Elspeth actually will have a number of cards you would benefit from, i.e., Veteran Armorer and Veteran Swordsmith.

I could go on, but I'd also suggest looking for other builds out there to identify cards you'll want to go pick up over-time.  For instance, this build, http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-soldier-edh/, uses Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran as the commander for extra pumps.  And, more generally, that build sticks to the tribal theme more closely.

Good luck!