Topic: 36 decks designed and need feedback please (on all of them)

I am new here, mostly using this sight to see the cost(s) and manabase of decks I want to build.  A lot of the expensive cards in the decks are already owned by me, s0 I just proxy up the pricy ones and buy the cards that are $5 or less (w/ over a catalog of 100 decks built and still in playable condition [not missing cards, taken apart, etc...]) I try to keep my costs down.

Now, I have zero feedback on the decks and how they can be improved.  I am also looking for feedback on not only their efficiency, but fun-factor, and the usage of cards that do not see much play.

I am also gearing up to build 2 of the decks and need help narrowing down the options to which 2 decks I should build next.  Do not worry about costs, since as mentioned above, most likely the pricey cards are already owned, so all I need to do is buy the $5 or less cards. 

Please keep in mind fun0factor, originality, and efficiency.  And of you're on mtgsalvation, my handle is "stoogeslap," so hit me up sometime here, or there.

Thanks for all of your help!

Re: 36 decks designed and need feedback please (on all of them)

Can we get links to the decks you'd like some thoughts on? also if you have 100 decks I don't think you'll be able to get advice on all of them, lol so I'd recommend choosing a couple (4-6) that you really like so we can try to help you from there. Good Luck!

I am just hoping others here will pick and chose among the 36 decks.  It only takes a minute or two to browse a deck.

Here's the link to my profile tro view all of the decks: http://deckbox.org/users/stoogeslap

If one has trouble figuring out the theme/synergy of the deck, feel free to ask.

I guess if I were to pick 7 to start off with, they would be:
1) 5CG - the new wave
2) Damage Reflection
3) Elemental Graveyard
4) Hellbent
5) Power/toughness Switch
6) Send 'Em to the Bottom
7) Strix Trix

I guess this is a start...

Soooo.... no one wants to give me any feedback?  I'm just asking ofr a short review and a suggestions (I hope) if any.

Tell ya' what; I'll do an exchange.  You help me on one or more, and I'll match your help w/ mine.  Sound good?

I'll take a crack at the top three in a minute... I think the lack of response comes from the rather daunting nature of the request.  Most people don't even have 32 decks put together at once, much less need feedback on all of them.

I am asking for input on any of them, not necessarily all of them.  Anyone can pick & chose what decks to review.  Some may not have inpput for most, but will/can give input on a 2 or 3.  I am just trying to tighten them up before I fork out money to make them.

To begin, since you're looking for feedback on all these decks, I'd recommend providing a description for each deck so that we know what your thinking was behind each one.  That way we don't have to guess.

5CG - the new wave: This is certainly a pricey one, but I'm not seeing the idea here.  If you're looking for a five color, you could go a lot of different ways with it.  Progenitus, Door to Nothingness, or any of a wealth of cool multicolor creatures would work here, but again, I'm just not seeing how this deck wins games.

Damage Reflection:  Now this is an interesting idea.  I like it as I run something somewhat similar in my Squirrel deck aimed at getting the crap knocked out of a creature of your choosing for your benefit (mine generates squirrel tokens, yours does all sorts of damage).  One thought would be to include something like Lure to ensure that your creature(s) of choice draw the full ire of all your opponent's critters.  Another thing would be to include some means to revive or regenerate your creatures so that when they do get the crap kicked out of them, it doesn't matter (this could mean something as simple as Regenerate).  I'd also definitely suggest getting another Darksteel Plate in there as those creatures won't do you any good if they're dead.  Lastly, it looks like the mana curve is a bit steep, perhaps some ramping creatures?  You could easily drop one of each of the 4x creatures and fit in 4x Birds of Paradise to help accelerate and stabilize the mana base.

Elemental Graveyard:  So this is intriguing as I didn't recognize that you could really run an elemental tribal deck.  However, I can see where there would be better options than Splinterfright as it doesn't look like you're going to have a lot of creatures in the graveyard.  Outside of you using the evoke abilities, you don't have much removal to kill their creatures and I don't imagine your opponent will be working to take out your smaller creatures.  Even something as simple as Fire Elemental could be much more effective.  But I could be wrong there.  I would also likely drop the black as you only really have Tragic Slip and Shriekmaw, which could easily be replaced with some burn spells, Prey Upon, or Beast Within to get the same effect.  You just have a splash in there, but I can see where you would be able to focus a bit more on red/green.  Also, from the look of things you have a LOT of options for bombs that qualify in RG and fit the Elemental bill.  Chlorophant and Avenger of Zendikar are two easy options that I'm seeing.  Take a look here and you might find some better fit creatures (http://deckbox.org/games/mtg/cards?f=47 … Fs!734.5.6)

I hope those ideas help.  Again, whatever input you can offer on the directions for each deck will help us give you meaningful comments.  Lastly, try posting one or two decks at a time in a thread, as that will likely increase the feedback you'll receive.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll give a short description under each deck to describe the goal(s) of each deck.

My response to your responses.

5CG:
Supposed to be a fast, green control deck that builds up Quirion Drad really quickly.  Has a lot of answers.  I made a mistake my adding Quirion Druid, apposed to Quirion Dryad.. hope this explains the deck a bit more.  Thanks for making me aware of that, lol...

Elemental GY:

Chlorophant is a good addition to the Elemental GY deck, but what can I take out?  I may add another black elemental (w/ a come's into play efect).  The reason for Shriekmaw is the evoke abilty, which helps build up the Splinterfright and Lord of Extinction for finishers.  The Smokebraiders and Banneret and Harbinger are there to set up the combos quickly and efficiently. 

There are 9 black cards total here (I am counting Lord of Extinction here too).

The Tragic Slip's work off of the evoke ability, and so does the Caravan Vigil.

Damage Redirect:

Love the idea of Lure, which'll replace the Coalhauler Swine, which at a 6 cc, that can also hurt me (unless I have the P-Shield out). 

Isn't 4 Everflowing Chalice's and 4 Cultivate enough mana acceleration?

Last edited by stoogeslap (2012-07-16 01:54:19)

For the Elemental deck, I just see a lot of options where you can end up giving elemental creatures +1/+1 counters which would be more consistently effective than relying on the evoke ability for your creatures.  Don't forget that Tormod's Crypt (which they reprinted in M13) would wipe your graveyard clean, so that automatically would take out the majority of Splinterfright's or Lord of Extinction's strength.  Also, I totally spaced saying it, but there is very little in the deck to help against flyers.

For the mana ramping, Everflowing Chalice and Cultivate help, but look at their costs.  Everflowing Chalice will need you to spend at least two to kick it in order to help at all, likely four if you want it to be better than just a BOP.  Cultivate helps get lands, but at a three-drop.  They help accelerate things, but I always like to do my mana acceleration earlier rather than later.  Those help, but BOP, Somberwald Sage or even things as simple as Llanowar Elves or Avacyn's Pilgrim can make a lot of difference, as they provide mana ramping earlier and chump blockers later.

Lastly, the reason the card art isn't showing is just from a few typos/spelling errors (it happens to all of us).  I normally preview my replies first to ensure that all the cards display properly, but I'm a stickler for details.

I have spent the last 20 minutes fixing my typos, lol.  So recheck the last post to see the updated changes.

In regards to the Elemental GY deck.  The deck is a legacy deck, which will have a lot of issues w/ GY removal.  But since this is a kitchen-table Magic deck, it won't be seeing pro tournies or sideboards ofr a while (hence me not making a sideboard at all for any of the decks).

You're right about the BoP's.  I think the Chalice's may go and the BoP's will come in. 

The deck just turned mostly green, think I'll add 4 Arbor Elfinstead of BoP now.  Also rearranged the artifacts by adding Gorgon Flail to make the "fight's" more lethal.

Last edited by stoogeslap (2012-07-16 02:05:08)