Topic: Separating Keywords and Traits in the database

Right now all the keywords and traits (and even some things that are neither) are lumped into the "Traits" category.  Only the bold, italic words at the top of the card text box are traits.  Things like "Scout" and "Toughness" are Keywords.  It would be cleaner, and more accurate, if Deckbox had an entirely separate category for Keywords.  As the number of Keywords and Traits in use grows, the current system will be become even more unwieldy.

Also, on some cards, like Watchstone of Athel Tamarha, the card has an ability only active in the Kingdom, but the card on Deckbox is flagged as having "Kingdom" as a Trait.  This is neither a Trait nor a Keyword.  Perhaps another category "Zone" to help people filter for cards that have bonuses in a specific zone, or have zone restrictions (so the drop down box choices are Kingdom, Kingdom Only, Quest, Quest Only, etc).  Currently, this is not consistent across all cards, as Anvil of Doom (for example) has a Kingdom ability but no Kingdom Trait.

I assume the way this is currently set up is just to facilitate searching, but its also starting to cause some confusion as more and more people use Deckbox.  I'm seeing people asking rules questions where they confuse Scout and Toughness as Traits, and it may be because they see them classified that way in the Deckbox database.

Edit: After looking this over, it seems that only a few cards have Keywords or Zone Reqs classified as Traits.  This search produces all the cards that are currently mis-filed.  Witch Hunters are also screwed up, but thats FFGs fault, as they printed the Trait two different ways and so its hard to say which is correct.

Last edited by Entropy (2010-08-03 20:16:05)

Re: Separating Keywords and Traits in the database

You're right, this is a problem. I was negligent in importing the spoilers (the fact that FFG does not have any sort of official card reference in any kind of parse-able format does not help either smile ).

I'll separate the keywords and traits, as you propose. Zone restrictions seem a bit trickier, I'll leave them aside for now.

I'll post again here if I have questions about the cards when I start fixing this stuff (next week I think).

Thanks for the insightful explanation.

Look at the bright side, your site is becoming the official card reference in a parsable format. smile

If you want someone to do simple data entry crap like fixing the traits or filling out keyword, I don't mind doing it, just shoot me an email.

Also, according to the rulebook, zone restrictions (i.e. "Battlefield Only") are a Keyword, so they should be included with that, but the Zone "preferences" (Kingdom.) is a "zone specific effect".

Entropy wrote:

Look at the bright side, your site is becoming the official card reference in a parsable format. smile

Hehe, that is nice indeed smile

Entropy wrote:

Also, according to the rulebook, zone restrictions (i.e. "Battlefield Only") are a Keyword, so they should be included with that, but the Zone "preferences" (Kingdom.) is a "zone specific effect".

Duly noted, thanks.