Topic: MODERN B/U HORROR (HELP)

I really like the feel of this deck. Have done no play testing yet, just seems good. Any input on some help would be awesome. I know Snapcaster would be an awesome addition to the deck as well as maybe a Jace or 2. https://deckbox.org/sets/1408049

Re: MODERN B/U HORROR (HELP)

davidherlein wrote:

I really like the feel of this deck. Have done no play testing yet, just seems good. Any input on some help would be awesome. I know Snapcaster would be an awesome addition to the deck as well as maybe a Jace or 2. https://deckbox.org/sets/1408049

OK, so we need a few questions answered before we can help you. How competitive are you wanting to make this. What format are you wanting to play and finally, how budget friendly does this need to be.

valdor wrote:
davidherlein wrote:

OK, so we need a few questions answered before we can help you. How competitive are you wanting to make this. What format are you wanting to play and finally, how budget friendly does this need to be.

Modern, as competitive as possible, and no budget, maybe for the more expensive cards add an alternative. I consider expensive over 30 dollars or so.

Ok let me preface this by saying that alternative cards will really lower the power level as there is a reason they are expensive.

Now, first off Wash Out is not Modern legal, so take those out. Also, you have 12 fetchland but only 4 lands you can find with these so we are going to readjust the mana base. We are going to use the 3 slots that Wash Out gave us and move that to lands for a total of 23. I would only run 8 fetches, 4 Polluted Delta and 4 Bloodstained Mires. 4 Watery Graves is fine. I would also drop the Drowned Catacombs as you can not fetch for them and we need basics in case Blood Moon. So since we have Phyrexian Obliterator we need 4 Swamps and to round out the basic lets just do 2 Islands. Add 2 Sunken Ruins just to help with filtering. Also, just in case I would run a single Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to help with the quadruple black. So that is 21 lands. The last two can be any variaty of utility lands possibly? Or just add whatever U/B lands you want.

Now, I think you have too many sorcery speed spells. I get what you are trying to to do, but theoretically you are trying to flip your Thing in the Ice ASAP. Once you do that you wont need unblockable. I honestly say remove the Artful Dodge, and Distortion Strike. and add a mixture of Thoughtseize and/or Inquisition of Kozilek. Maybe a 2/2 split. I would also think of adding in Thought Scour for some extra card draw at instant speed.

I am ok with your instants.

As for your creatures, I have to ask, what is Phyrexian Revoker in here for for besides being a Horror? What will you be naming with him? I would be removing him honestly..... Actually scratch that, I would take out the Hunted Horror. If you play him and then your opponent Paths him, you just gave him 6 power for 1 mana. Yes I know you said over $30 was expensive, but there really is no replacing Snapcaster Mage in this. He is that good.

This is all I really have off the top of my head. https://deckbox.org/sets/1409894 This is what I have changed. I am two cards short since I am unsure of the last two lands.

Last edited by valdor (2016-05-11 13:10:46)

Actually upset with myself that I neglected thoughtsieze........ Specially considering I already own 3 for suicide zoo.

Any ideas for a sideboard?

davidherlein wrote:

Any ideas for a sideboard?

Hmmm, well without playing the deck it is hard to say. Duress to help with combo,  Mana Leak for more counter spells. Move the Phyrexian Revokers I cut to SB. Go for the Thought for more creature removal