Topic: Advice on three old decks transitioning to new times

I started playing magic in the early to mid 90s and by about the end of the decade I thought I had finished.  I did however keep my three best decks.  I recently started playing again and I was wondering if I could get some advice about some of the changes I made or about other changes I could make.  Part of my problem is that there have been like fifty kagillion sets put out since I quit.  I think the last set I remember was either Alliance or Tempest.  I'm going to try and post links to the deckbox pages where I have my decks listed.  If that fails I can just type each one out.  Anyway, any help would be more then appreciated.

Thank you, and peace.
AK

https://deckbox.org/sets/1705170  - Old style Land Destruction.  Pure black, but I'm trying to modernize.
https://deckbox.org/sets/1700300  - Classic Kird Ape deck.  Lots of Direct Damage, giant growths, fork, berserk.
https://deckbox.org/sets/1705183  - Another classic.  The "White Weenie" deck.  Fast creatures for a fast win. I'm seeing some giant holes in it though.  I've tried compensating, but let me know what anyone thinks.

Again, Thanks

Re: Advice on three old decks transitioning to new times

Hey, just noticed I'm not getting much in the way of responses to the post I made about my three old decks that I am trying to modernize while keeping as much of the old flavor and meaning intact.  So I'm gonna paste them here..

White Weenie:

Creatures:
1 Archangel Avacyn
1 Longbow Archer
2 Mesa Pegasus
1 Odric, Lunarch Marshall
4 Order of Leitbur
2 Order of the White Shield
4 Serra Angel
1 Thalia’s Lieutenant
4 White Knight
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Spells:
4 Disenchant
2 Reprisal
2 Scars of the Veteran
1 Balance
4 Crusade
1 Serra’s Blessing

Lands:
1 Kjeldoran Outpost
4 Mishra’s Factory
18 Plains

R/G Kird Ape:
Creatures:
1 Chandra, Flamecaller
4 Elvish Archers
4 Kird Ape
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Minotaur Sureshot (Until I get another Watcher in the Web)
1 Mirrorwing Dragon
1 Radha, Heir to Keld
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
1 Watcher in the Web

Spells:
1 Berserk
1 Deem Worthy
1 Fork
4 Giant Growth
1 Heaven // Earth
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Shatter
4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireball
4 Firebolt
1 Increasing Savagery
1 Regrowth
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Cultist’s Staff

Land:
6 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Rugged Highlands
4 Taiga

And finally my old time Black Land Destruction:
Creatures:
3 Abyssal Specter
1 Bloodgift Demon
1 Harvester of Souls
2 Knight of Stromgald
1 Order of the Ebon Hand
3 Sengir Vampires

Spells:
4 Dark Ritual
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Drain Life
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Icequake
1 Rain of Tears
4 Sinkhole
1 Bad Moon
1 Nether Void
3 Nevinyrral’s Disk
1 Sol Ring
1 Zuran Orb

Land:
4 Strip Mine
22 Swamp

So, if you have had the patience to read all that I'd appreciate any input anyone can give me.  Like I mentioned, I just came back and am not at all familiar with new cards.

Thank you!
AK

Re: Advice on three old decks transitioning to new times

The first thing I would do is divide each deck into what you consider the "core" (the cards that, through flavor or other intrinsic qualities, provide the "feel" that you're looking for) and the "support" (the cards that make the core playable and the deck "whole"). Start with your support cards. Are there newer replacements out there that are better that fit the same slot? Would Blossoming Defense be better than Giant Growth? Are there things (like Disenchant that just aren't as relevant anymore that can be dropped in favor of things that do more of the things your deck wants (Spear of Heliod, Immolating Glare, or Tenacity)?

Then, for the core, are there better things that "feel" the same? Skyship Stalker or Glorybringer over Shivan Dragon, for instance? Maybe white weenies wants to become a token deck that focuses on soldiers and their "leaders"?

Last edited by ReliquaryTower (2017-06-01 13:28:25)