Topic: Tips for entering you inventory for newbies

I just joined this site (my old one was winding down) and after trial and error I came up with the following procedures for loading my inventory to this site.  The following tips are for non-premium members, they may have other tools to upload easier.  Note that I have my entire inventory in a spreadsheet including foils/promos on separate lines with same name as non-foils. 
1. Under inventory, click Search and Filter, choose Edition Owned.  (This is for the expansion you are about to load)
2. click on Apply filters. (This should show no inventory if you are just staring out)
3. Click Add Cards, click Add from card list (This is for those who are copying two columns from a spreadsheet)
4. Make sure your defaults are correct (set/symbol, language, condition)
5. Copy and paste from spreadsheet.
6. Click Import. (different names such as split cards, pre-release promos may not be imported)
7. Correct any that were not imported by editing back to basic card name.  It will leave an extra copy but that can be edited later.
8.  Choose (click) on any cards you need to edit from default values (I had to do this for prerelease and foil cards).
9.  Click on edit.  Click on + to add 2nd version of card. Adjust quantities as needed. Click on foil if necessary.
9b.  If promo you can click on version (next to the symbol of the card expansion).  Even if it is a foil, verify that the symbol/version defaulted to the correct one.
9c. Once all changes are made click Apply.
10. If you want to make sure changes were made, reload the page. Promos will show up separately from the basic set listing.
11. Once done you can click on View, Total Set Value to see your collection's value as well as the expansion you just entered's value.
12. To enter next expansion, choose Edition Owned again, removing previous selected, Apply filters again.
13. Repeat above.  (Again make sure that you update the defaults for the new set)

I hope this helps.  If anyone else has other tips, please add/reply. Currently I am about 2/3 through entering what I have and next I will enter my want list and move some of my cards to Up for Trade.

Re: Tips for entering you inventory for newbies

RabidWombat wrote:

Note that I have my entire inventory in a spreadsheet including foils/promos on separate lines with same name as non-foils.

Since you already have your inventory in a spreadsheet, it might actually be easier to just figure out what you need to do in order to convert it into a Deckbox-compatible CSV file. I'd recommend exporting your current inventory to CSV, opening the downloaded file in Excel (or whatever), and comparing it to your spreadsheet. The main columns you need are:

• Count -- how many you own of that specific edition, collector number, condition, language, and foiling of a card

• Name -- card name (in English, even if you have a foreign version of the card)

• Edition -- most likely column to cause you errors upon import, if your edition name doesn't exactly match what's used by Deckbox; whenever you encounter such an error, just look up Deckbox's edition name and Find/Replace it in Excel

• Card Number -- can be left blank and will be filled in by Deckbox, except in the case of variant artwork (so things like basic lands or the variants of a single card name in sets like Alliances) *

• Condition -- fill in if you track condition (I don't, so I just left this column blank)

• Language -- just like with Condition, if you don't have this column or leave it blank, it'll show up as an unknown language in Deckbox

• Foil -- keep this value blank for non-foils, or enter "foil"

You can reorder those columns however you'd like in your spreadsheet, and it won't affect import. You can also delete any columns you don't want to worry about.

Even if you decide to continue adding them via Card List in batches, you can cut out steps 1-2 and step 12. Applying those filters doesn't matter for importing; only setting the defaults in step 4 needs to be done.

* A few cards don't have unique card numbers in Deckbox, so you may have to manually set them in Deckbox if the default isn't correct. For instance, the basic lands from Battle for Zendikar have both normal and full-art versions of each, but each full-art basic land shares a card number with its normal counterpart. Some of the lands will default to full-art; some will default to normal art. It's annoying, because anytime I re-import via CSV, I have to re-update those.

Thanks for the helpful tips.  I will do that when I enter my want list.  Steps 1, 2 and 12 are to help me verify where I am at so I don't enter the same expansion twice.  If I see no cards listed when I update the filter for the next expansion I am good to go.  I still have to go back to remove "ghost" cards (the ones with the light symbol) when I didn't update the default expansion while importing. 

For those people importing their inventory, lands are a pain to enter as meldon44 mentioned.  I  did a compromise by only adding my foil lands.

RabidWombat wrote:

Steps 1, 2 and 12 are to help me verify where I am at so I don't enter the same expansion twice.  If I see no cards listed when I update the filter for the next expansion I am good to go.

Ah, oK, that makes sense. While it's not necessary for importing, I can see how it would help in your personal process.

RabidWombat wrote:

I still have to go back to remove "ghost" cards (the ones with the light symbol) when I didn't update the default expansion while importing.

Since you've already been utilizing the inventory filters, you probably already know this, but just in case, I wanted to mention that there's a "No edition set" filter that helps you quickly find those "ghost" cards (love that description!!  XD).