Topic: Interested in trading whole collection for a single card!

It took a couple days, but I've entered every card I have (https://deckbox.org/sets/2332820). The majority of cards are new and belong to Battlebond, Hour of Devastation, Amonkhet, Kaladesh, Eldrich moon, Battle for Zendikar, and Magic origins. However, there are occasional cards from approximately 15, maybe 20 other sets.

862 commons, 406 uncommon, 148 rare, and 15 mythic. All the valuables are in EX/NM condition.

I'm entertaining the idea of trading all 2500 cards of mine for a single, value-holding legacy card.
I don't want to sell in bulk, and I really don't want to sell a few at a time.

So, as an inexperienced card collector, I could really benefit from yalls information on what cards would fit the value of my collection, and which are going to at least hold their value. I'm NOT looking to make money (weird).
Secondary to that, I just want a desirable card, with cool art, perhaps good play ability (although rarity is more important I know).

Please any advice or guidance is appreciated!

edit: After some research, these are my thoughts,

Cardmarket has some pretty accurate prices, although conversion
Betas seem pretty sound, although if they're graded 7+ they get pricey.
Mana short looks like an awesome card, but a good condition one is above my collections value.
I'm going to go around and offer my inventory to some specific card holders.

Last edited by Cory63123 (2019-05-16 20:35:27)

Re: Interested in trading whole collection for a single card!

Hi Cory, just wanted to give you my perspective so you can temper expectations and go into offers understanding what to expect. An important thing to understand is that commons and uncommons, for the most part, are considered bulk, especially when using them to trade into an older high value card with a stable price. I believe that you could remove 99% of the commons and uncommons from any relatively new set (last 5ish years) and your expected offer's value wouldn't change in the slightest. There are exceptions, like Fatal Push etc, so I'd say any uncommon that is $2 or less by deckbox's pricing is probably close to bulk in the eyes of the person your offering your collection too.

Secondly, using new or "bulk" rares to trade into the kind of card you're looking for, I'd go into it expecting a 25-30% mark down of value on your end. It's very unlikely you'll find a person who actively wants all the cards you're offering, so at that point they are trading for value. Trying to move 200+ mythic rares, rares, and uncommons that range from $1-$5 is a lot harder than moving one high value card, so it typically needs to be worth it for the person that you are trying to offload stuff too.

Now, I am pretty new to this site, so this experience is more so geared towards local or GP trading, but I think the fundamentals hold and I know I wouldn't want to trade a Force of Will ($110-120) for 110 or 120 $1 rares, if that makes sense.

Looking at your tradelist, you could probably cut everything out below your 50th most valuable card, then look to offer someone it (about $250 in value at that point) at around 160-180 (maybe) for some amount of 10-50 dollar cards that would equal that, then use those to trade into the card you're looking for.

Anyways, I hope that's helpful and best of luck with the search!

Last edited by Altaurus321 (2019-05-16 23:40:02)

Card kingdom offered to buy 350 cards individually for 170$. I figured all 2500 cards would manage to trade for a 140-160$ decent condition beta without too much trouble. Here's an excellent (but more VG) Animate Dead on card *market with scans for about  135 euros, 150$.

Offers encouraged!

Last edited by Cory63123 (2019-05-17 02:32:00)

Post's attachments

370256448.jpg 59.99 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi Cory,

I'm new to deckbox as well - but I'm "old school" MTG, who recently jumped back in because my son got into it, so I have a good number of the newer sets, but am always looking to expand. To be honest, while I'm not going to ignore the value of cards, my son and I actually play a bit and like to build decks, so your offer is intriguing to me.

Little history - I started in Summer 93', so I just missed Alpha/Beta, which is definitely a bummer. However, I have an almost complete edition of Revised, along with most of The Dark, Ice Age, 4th edition, and basically everything that came out through 1997 (with some random elements up until around 99-00).

Anyway, I haven't listed my "old" cards yet - I was busy sifting through the piles of new cards.

If you have any interest, drop me a line and maybe we can work something out. I'll eventually upload all my old stuff. All of the cards are in very good shape, with me actually never having played most of the mirage+

Of course as a new trader, I have no idea how the system works or what kind of proof we're working with, but I'm willing to give it all a shot.