Topic: alphabetical order and "The"

is there any chance we could get alphabetical order of cards to ignore the word "The" like libraries do with books and most alphabetical sorting works for titles?

Also, punctuation in sorting is often wrong or inconsistant. the first card in the database begins with quotation marks, but the last cards is ______ and all names starting with punctuation should be sorted together.

Finally, legends and thier signature spells alphabetize wrong. Akroma, angel of wrath should come before akroma's memorial and akroma's vengeance for example.

thanks for considering Sebi!

Shoe

Re: alphabetical order and "The"

Shoe wrote:

is there any chance we could get alphabetical order of cards to ignore the word "The" like libraries do with books and most alphabetical sorting works for titles?

I agree. This also would follow how WotC themselves order those cards in the set.

Shoe wrote:

Also, punctuation in sorting is often wrong or inconsistant. the first card in the database begins with quotation marks, but the last cards is ______ and all names starting with punctuation should be sorted together.

This has to do with programmer's ordering. In programming, it'll follow the ASCII table, in which " has character code 0x22, the uppercase letters use codes 0x41-0x5A, and _ has code 0x5F. That said, Sebi could obviously program Deckbox to override the default ASCII sorting. Personally, I'd rather just ignore beginning punctuation, and sort them based on the first letter of the card. But I can see the logic in grouping punctuation, too.

Shoe wrote:

Finally, legends and thier signature spells alphabetize wrong. Akroma, angel of wrath should come before akroma's memorial and akroma's vengeance for example.

So in this case, it's actually correct. This is the order WotC uses. See e.g. Masters 25, in which Akroma is #002 while Vengeance is #003. This follows a certain commonsense as well, in that the character should precede their spell.

meldon44 wrote:

This has to do with programmer's ordering. In programming, it'll follow the ASCII table, in which " has character code 0x22, the uppercase letters use codes 0x41-0x5A, and _ has code 0x5F. That said, Sebi could obviously program Deckbox to override the default ASCII sorting. Personally, I'd rather just ignore beginning punctuation, and sort them based on the first letter of the card. But I can see the logic in grouping punctuation, too.

I am aware, I am a software engineer. I'm fine with ignoring punctuation or grouping it alltogether, but the ascii thing doesn;t really work perfectly for alphabetical sort

So in this case, it's actually correct. This is the order WotC uses. See e.g. Masters 25, in which Akroma is #002 while Vengeance is #003. This follows a certain commonsense as well, in that the character should precede their spell.

This isn't how deckbox works. Vengeance comes BEFORE arkoma herself ATM

https://deckbox.org/games/mtg/cards?f=17YWtyb21h

Last edited by Shoe (2020-10-13 03:31:38)

Shoe wrote:

I am aware, I am a software engineer. I'm fine with ignoring punctuation or grouping it alltogether, but the ascii thing doesn;t really work perfectly for alphabetical sort

I'm glad you're aware; most people don't seem to be knowledgeable of such things. When I first got involved in the Magic crowd, I apparently held the bias that most Magic players would also be tech/computer nerds. But since being on Deckbox, I've been surprised by how many actually aren't, so I've begun to tailor my responses with that assumption in mind. Apologies if it came across as condescending.

Shoe wrote:

This isn't how deckbox works. Vengeance comes BEFORE arkoma herself ATM

Doh! You're right. I completely misread your original post as the opposite of that. Yes, Deckbox needs to switch it around. I don't think I've ever noticed, because I just always sort by collector number, which obviously orders them correctly.