Topic: Dark Mode for Deckox?

Sebi,

Any chance a Dark Mode is in the works for DeckBox?  I spend a good portion of my time on DeckBox in a darkened environment due to the office I work in.  Forcing a Dark Mode in Chrome as a whole isn't the most friendly thing.  Having a Dark Mode native to the site would be something I'd appreciate, and I'm sure many others would utilize it as well, even if its something exclusive to premium membership.

Re: Dark Mode for Deckox?

I would definitely like to see a dark mode for this site. It's a bit eye-searing at times.

I 100% agree! As you might imagine, this has actually been brought up a time or two before.

Although a native Deckbox implementation would be best, in lieu of that you can try the homebrew version I made for myself, which I shared in this thread. If you're comfortable with CSS, then tweak to your heart's content. If you're not, then just copy'n'paste what I use and it should work reasonably well. Feel free to reach out and point out any issues, since as I said in that thread, there's areas of this site that I don't use at all (notably trades). I'll gladly make any tweaks to it.

+1 for that suggestion.

Yup, I'd be totally into a Dark Mode for Deckbox feature.

I propose you to use a browser plugin (this one is for chrome, but probably other browser have similar plugins) which is called "Dark Reader".

Last edited by n0sk (2021-01-22 09:17:46)

n0sk wrote:

I propose you to use a browser plugin (this one is for chrome, but probably other browser have similar plugins) which is called "Dark Reader".

While that is an option for desktop and laptop at home, my office computers don't allow for Extensions to be installed for any browsers.  Further, I tend to spend a fair amount of time on DeckBox on my phone and that browser doesn't allow extensions, either :-(

TSpielman wrote:

While that is an option for desktop and laptop at home, my office computers don't allow for Extensions to be installed for any browsers.  Further, I tend to spend a fair amount of time on DeckBox on my phone and that browser doesn't allow extensions, either :-(

Oh dang! That's a bummer your work won't allow it. Guess that keeps you from using the custom Deckbox styles I linked to earlier, too.

One thing you might try, assuming your office computers have accessible USB ports, is to use a portable version of Google Chrome from a thumb drive. That's what I used to do when I was in your work situation. Don't know if the portable apps have been kept up-to-date since I used it, but worth looking into if you'd like that freedom at work.

(I would imagine you might also be able to get IT at your work to install that specific extension n0sk mentioned on the grounds of "accommodations" if you argue that a lot of the computer work you have to do is too bright for your eyes. I've gotten special IT tweaks this way.)

There's also some hacky solutions for phones, too, that I'd found when searching a while back. I never got around to trying them, but supposedly they allowed you to have your own custom user stylesheets for different sites.

meldon44 wrote:
TSpielman wrote:

Oh dang! That's a bummer your work won't allow it. Guess that keeps you from using the custom Deckbox styles I linked to earlier, too.

One thing you might try, assuming your office computers have accessible USB ports, is to use a portable version of Google Chrome from a thumb drive. That's what I used to do when I was in your work situation. Don't know if the portable apps have been kept up-to-date since I used it, but worth looking into if you'd like that freedom at work.

(I would imagine you might also be able to get IT at your work to install that specific extension n0sk mentioned on the grounds of "accommodations" if you argue that a lot of the computer work you have to do is too bright for your eyes. I've gotten special IT tweaks this way.)

There's also some hacky solutions for phones, too, that I'd found when searching a while back. I never got around to trying them, but supposedly they allowed you to have your own custom user stylesheets for different sites.

Sadly, as I'm a US Military guy, there's no flexibility on systems adjustments.  USB usage is a no-go as well.  You plug something into a system and the system locks down.  It's all good, though.  At the moment DeckBox is blocked in the office - still trying to get it whitelisted for morale purposes and not being "gaming".  I'm sure it won't work, but at least I'll have tried.

In the end, I'm still totally in love with the functionality yet simplicity of DeckBox and will continue to maintain a premium membership for as long as I maintain a collection.  Sebi does an utterly amazing job on the site!

I came here hoping to find out that Dark Mode exists already... but alas, I shall remain blinded tongue

In all seriousness, though, I would insanely appreciate a dark mode setting! big_smile