Topic: "Etched Foil" Mystical Archive - How to categorize?

Hello, all, there's something new with Strixhaven Mystical Archive (STA) that I do not believe we've seen before: there are two different foiling processes for the same card number and expansion symbol.

I would love to hear folks' thoughts on how to catalog these in the existing system? I keep thinking it would be ideal to have a separate bucket for Strixhaven Mystical Archive Etched Foils, but other thoughts are appreciated (as this solution requires more work from Seb).

Thank you!

PS - these "Etched Foil" cards in STA are nothing like the Etched Foil cards in Commander Legends, as they are minimally etched an at first-glance look almost identical to non-foiled global versions. EDIT - there ARE Japanese Etched Foils tongue

Last edited by Solseek (2021-04-22 23:24:13)

Re: "Etched Foil" Mystical Archive - How to categorize?

Solseek wrote:

There are no Japanese Variant etched foils.

Actually there are! It's just extremely subtle, even more so than the regular MA cards. It was specifically pointed out by Gavin Verhey (a WotC employee, in case you haven't heard of him) in his collector box unboxing video. And you can buy them.

Hello, Meldon, thank you! I edited my post.

Also, I'm relatively new to posting here, so I accidentally "replied" to your post using "report"... please ignore that, Seb! Derp.

We really need another tag for Etched. For now I am marking them Foil+Promo just to distinguish them.

docvalentine wrote:

We really need another tag for Etched. For now I am marking them Foil+Promo just to distinguish them.

Main discussion here. Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts and feedback!