Topic: Sideboard

Sideboarding an entire deck... lands and all.  Different colors, etc.

Yay or neigh?

I'm in the neigh column.

Re: Sideboard

I can see the arguments for nay (I'm not a horse, thank you!).

That being said, I voted yay. Why? With this few cards, if you can built two fairly competent decks, go for it. I'm actually amazed you can pull it off. Yes, over time it gets easier, but over time others are also trading their good off-color cards for even better on-color cards. My gut says that the person running two decks is at a theoretical disadvantage.

Tactically, if you think you can create a second deck that will have a better chance winning against a bad match-up for the other deck, then go for it. I wouldn't suggest it though.

I wouldn't be allowed to do such in any other tournament, I'm not in favor of it for this.

If you want to play whatever decks from game to game, that wouldn't be bad I suppose.  Need to keep things fresh at least.  But you're basically not allowing the other player to sideboard at all, because when you say you're switching decks, they won't know what you're playing, and you're gaining a complete advantage.

loldotcom wrote:

I wouldn't be allowed to do such in any other tournament, I'm not in favor of it for this.

There's no official format that has such a huge sideboard. You would be allowed to swap your entire sideboard in between games, and your sideboard would be allowed to have lands, etc. This is just a unique case where sideboard >= size of deck.

i get what mike is saying, but in practice, the two decks are significantly weaker than one good deck, so i say go for it.  if nothing else, it is amusing and potentially fun.
Come to think of it, since this is the only format where you could do it, if you have the means, I say do it!

This is completely legal in Sealed events like this one. It's also true that diluting your card pool by creating two decks puts you at a disadvantage. I've had two decks the whole time and each of them could be better. Still, I enjoy the variety.

Michael Kioski, QA

Well you aren't allowed to trade in sanctioned Sealed tournaments either, which is where our setup varies from official scenarios.

You aren't really stuck with 2 bad decks, you could trade for two fairly solid decks.  Makes sideboarding for your opponent not even possible, since they have to play another blind matchup before they could sideboard, assuming it goes to three games.

Either way, I don't really care I suppose, the league is for fun, and honestly people should just do what they want.