Topic: Issue with bad trading practices.

I recently encountered a trade where the trade itself was confirmed for two and a half weeks and then suddenly cancelled. No addresses were exchanged; however, I find it irritating that traders are not reprimanded for canceling out of the blue after accepting a trade. I saved these specific cards for the time the trade was confirmed, which in my opinion, is in and of itself a loss regardless of the lack of cards lost in the trade.

I personally believe that a trader should be given some warning or some form of punishment (such as suspension from trading) for bad trading practices such as these.

Just my two cents because I feel as if this trader basically gave me the run giving out excuses and making promises to ship.

Re: Issue with bad trading practices.

Hey I just wanted to reply to this openly here.

I am honestly sorry for the situation that happened. I am new to deckbox and it was brought to my attention that the pricing algorithim isn't the greatest on the site.  One of the cards you were going to trade me showed up as 15.00 dollars. we confirmed and when I asked if you could replace that 15.00 dollar card with another one of equal value you told me that the original card I though was 15.00  was only worth 3 or 4 dollars. Therefore I decided to cancel this trade as I was under the wrong impression in terms of the cards/value within the trade.  A friend of mine has since explained to me that the best way to work trades is to base the prices off of starcitygames and that is what I am going to do to from now on to avoid these situations.

I hope you will be willing to forgive me this one time on account of being new to how this system works and I can assure you that it won't happen again.

Cheers,
Nick

Ya I feel like this is a legit reason although an explanation should have been given as to why it was canceled when it was and as for pricing if you click on the card (if it's older) there will e the actual price on the bottom of the page and if not there is a link to it. But like I said I feel like this is ok considering this guy is new to deckbox and didnt know that the pricing was screwed up.

I wasn't wanting to out you thegreekcuddler but this isn't the first time this has happened. To be honest, I guess I would have to say that it just happened one too many times and I felt that this is an issue the deckbox team have yet to address. (They have addressed many others however.) This might be an issue people may or may not have encountered but I feel as if putting a countermeasure in place before this becomes too large might be a good precaution to take. Just my 2cents.

And again @thegreekcuddler,  I understand my original post sounded harsh but I have had some pretty large confirmed trades just cancelled. Nothing was meant to be personal.

Well said; however, a confirmed trade should still have the resemblance of a contract, no? Metaphorically speaking, when a trade is first initiated, it is similar to the first rounds of negotiation on a business contract. As the trade offer is modified by both parties and being discussed in the chat box, the metaphor would continue in through the next rounds of negotiations within a contract. Finally after both parties have come to terms with the trade or contract, they accept the trade/sign the contract. With respect to the contract, they enter a legally binding agreement that upholds them to their signature; however, deckbox lacks discouragement for the breaking of this trade.

I do believe good communication is definitely key to facilitating a deal (I believe I do communicate pretty well in my trades), but the proper restraints are definitely an issue too. In the past month, I believe there have been a couple of cases of traders going rogue(either failing to communicate, offering ultimatums or just not sending). Though I'm certainly not saying that these cases could have been avoided 100% but isn't it always better to look for ways to innovate the trading system to help trader safety?

It is the trader's responsibility to check the price of the card/s their trading and receiving.  Even if deckbox provides the prices, it is your responsibility to check them on other sites.  Being new to the site should not be an excuse.  Once you agree on a trade, you should honor it.  Learn from your mistake and move on.  It is unfair to the other party who has been holding the cards and have the deal cancelled after 2 weeks. A trader promising to ship and cancelling should be reprimanded.

iamsolipsism wrote:

Well said; however, a confirmed trade should still have the resemblance of a contract, no? Metaphorically speaking, when a trade is first initiated, it is similar to the first rounds of negotiation on a business contract. As the trade offer is modified by both parties and being discussed in the chat box, the metaphor would continue in through the next rounds of negotiations within a contract. Finally after both parties have come to terms with the trade or contract, they accept the trade/sign the contract. With respect to the contract, they enter a legally binding agreement that upholds them to their signature; however, deckbox lacks discouragement for the breaking of this trade.

I do believe good communication is definitely key to facilitating a deal (I believe I do communicate pretty well in my trades), but the proper restraints are definitely an issue too. In the past month, I believe there have been a couple of cases of traders going rogue(either failing to communicate, offering ultimatums or just not sending). Though I'm certainly not saying that these cases could have been avoided 100% but isn't it always better to look for ways to innovate the trading system to help trader safety?

Wouldn't putting your mailing info be more like signing? Accepting the trade would be more like accepting the contract ... In my opinion anyway