Topic: [Standard][Opinions] Post-Gatecrash Boros Aggro

Hey guys. I came up with an idea for a post-Gatecrash Boros Aggro deck. Looking for ideas.

4x Ash Zealot
4x Skyknight Legionnaire
4x Spark Trooper
4x Silverblade Paladin
4x Vexing Devil
3x Hellrider

4x Boros Charm
4x Searing Spear
2x Skullcrack
2x Aurelia's Fury

2x Blind Obedience (Testing as replacement for 2x Skullcrack)

4x Sacred Foundry
4x Clifftop Retreat
7x Mountain
6x Plains
2x Cavern of Souls

I really like the idea of turn 3 Silverblade Paladin, turn 4 Spark Trooper (soulbond). Bam 12-16 damage. Then next turn, Boros Charm for game.

Sideboard:

2x Skullcrack
Work in progress

Last edited by Sillvva (2013-01-20 04:40:47)

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

Re: [Standard][Opinions] Post-Gatecrash Boros Aggro

A few thoughts based on the spoiled cards.

One, you're totally whiffing on the battalion mechanic - I don't think I see anything in that actually has it in there.  It might seem underwhelming, but I'd imagine it can be huge in a lot of scenarios.  I'm thinking specifically about Frontline Medic and Legion Loyalist.  The loyalist gives you another option at the one-drop and will offer first strike and trample when the battalion triggers.  Frontline medic also works beautifully with Hellrider as you can attack into their defenses completely without any fear of losing your creatures - something that should be quite convenient. 

Two, I'd also keep an open mind toward Hellraiser Goblin for the haste and Blind Obedience to ensure that you outrun them.  Lastly, from the new stuff, why not toss in Aurelia as a one-off?  Worst case scenario you hit her and are able to log two turns worth of Hellrider triggers to victory.

Three, I see you don't have a sideboard listed (that's fine) but I would definitely add Rootborn Defenses as a second option to protect against board-wipes.  To that end, any tokens you can run with would be cool (I'm thinking Lingering Souls/Midnight Haunting - with the Haunting actually being the better option).

I know that Boros is going to be crazy... so good luck with it.

Thanks for the help TyWooOneTime smile and I will definitely be considering some of these. Please let me know what you think about my reasons below.

I like your idea with Blind Obedience. It is a card I am definitely considering. Again it will take some testing to determine whether or not I should mainboard it or sideboard it. Either way it is going in one of those as a 2 of at most or none at all. I do have 2x Aurelia's Fury which will help with what this would do for me by tapping down my opponent's most troublesome blockers or being a finisher to my opponent. So I like Aurelia's Fury for the versatility. Also Boros Charm does some protecting too.

Yeah I did think about the battalion. I was focusing more on the haste mechanic and the speed of putting damage out and battalion just didn't seem to help much with that. I think they would work better with a token version of Boros Aggro than the fast and aggressive build I am trying to make. It will take some testing. As for the tokens, I do think they would work great with battalion and would be a deck to contend with, but that is not the direction I want this deck to go. Who knows, I might end up with a Boros Tokens build in the end. I built an Esper Tokens deck that helped me take 4th place at my FNM twice in a row and those were my last FNMs with that deck. A faster red version might be just what I need.

What do I need Hellraiser Goblin for haste when 15/23 of my creatures already have it? I think it could possibly work if I didn't already have so much haste. Again, I think for tokens this card could be great. Especially if those tokens are flying. However, one thing makes that card bad... It includes itself in its effect and probably wouldn't last very long with 2 toughness. Plus forcing your creatures to attack leaves you open every single turn.

I really don't know what to think of Aurelia. She has haste which makes her a great candidate for the deck. However I want the deck to be fast, so 6 mana is kind of a turn off. Again, it will take some testing. I think it is a much better fit, however in Naya Midrange since it already fits that category so well.

If I sideboard Frontline Medic (since I want to keep the haste mainboarded), then I don't think I will need the one-time use Rootborn Defenses for two reasons. I already have 4x Boros Charm which does the same thing for all my permanents without populate for one less mana and I don't need the populate.

By all means, all suggestions are optional... take em, leave em, ultimately playtesting gets the final word there.

My thought behind potentially SB'ing Rootborn and including Frontline Medic in the mainboard is to let you save those Boros Charms for when they drop Supreme Verdict.  Don't forget that Boros Charm can, and will, be countered a LOT as people are going to be expecting it and, at instant speed, it opens the door for Dispel.  To to that end, a bit of added redundancy wouldn't hurt  especially for free in the case of the medic.

The haste is good, but can you guarantee they'll be dead by turn 4-5?  If not, you're going to run into a big wall of Thragtusk and Restoration Angel more often than not, and with nothing all that large on your end, what happens once they put a larger presence on the board?  Blind Obedience would deal with this in a significant way, as their blockers come in tapped (no flash resto blockers).   As the other option Aurelia might be a high cost, but realistically, she gives you that finisher that you're lacking at the moment - you don't even need to get through if you're triggering Hellrider for two attack phases - and I'd wager you'll be able to play her twice for every time she's stuck in your hand, so not that much of a risk there as a 1-2 of.

I know a token boros is going to be sick and you're not going that way, but I don't think any of these would slow you down that much and they give you a bit more consistent protection for your creatures.

Updated for Madcap Skills. I think this card is going places

http://deckbox.org/sets/303194

Madcap skills is in my opinion the worse version of Pyreheart Wolf which I think you should be running instead, I wouldn't be opposed to you using both, however madcap is a great way to get yourself 2 for 1ed, meaning they kill the creature with the enchantment, they use one of their cards to take out 2 of yours, whereas with the Pyreheart Wolf they're going to have to waste 2 spells to kill your wolf and if they try to block it to death they'll get killed by your other creatures in no time flat.

Also Legion loyalist is pretty ok in some situations but I prefer to have it in sideboard, it's most relevant ability is to ignore tokens and so you don't really need that main deck unless you see A LOT of lingering souls near you.

I think that although I know you want to curve out at 4 Zealous Conscripts is alot better for your sideboard than Act of Treason, if you're bringing in something like that it's usually against life-gain cards, like Thragtusk and Centaur Healer a,d if you bring in Act of Treason it'll just undo their healing but not help put any more damage into them, if you have a conscripts you will bash in for additional damage rather than just undoing their damage.

Also for the record Hellraiser Goblin is an absolutely TERRIBLE card even in a 100% aggro deck because it lets your opponent make all of the decisions, as soon as you cast the goblin they are now the one who makes every single decision for the rest of the game regarding combat.

Seems like a pretty sweet deck overall, I know I wouldn't want to run into it smile

Got anything to remove your opponents' Blind Obedience??  That card would hose your plan entirely, and it'll hose your opponents' plans if you're ready for it.

Since you are already in white, Erase or Oblivion Ring might be worth thinking about putting in the SB.

Last edited by Zooligan (2013-01-30 20:16:44)

Zooligan wrote:

Got anything to remove your opponents' [c]Blind Obedience[/c]??  That would hose your plan entirely, and hose your opponents' plans if you're ready for it.

Since you are already in white, [c]Erase[/c] or [c]Oblivion Ring[/c] might be worth thinking about putting in the SB.

I have been thinking about that. Just not sure what to remove in the SB. Since Act of Treason is my only decent response to Midrange decks, I could see:

-2 Pillar of Flame
+2 Erase

imsully2 wrote:

Madcap skills is in my opinion the worse version of Pyreheart Wolf which I think you should be running instead, I wouldn't be opposed to you using both, however madcap is a great way to get yourself 2 for 1ed, meaning they kill the creature with the enchantment, they use one of their cards to take out 2 of yours, whereas with the Pyreheart Wolf they're going to have to waste 2 spells to kill your wolf and if they try to block it to death they'll get killed by your other creatures in no time flat.

Also Legion loyalist is pretty ok in some situations but I prefer to have it in sideboard, it's most relevant ability is to ignore tokens and so you don't really need that main deck unless you see A LOT of lingering souls near you.

I think that although I know you want to curve out at 4 Zealous Conscripts is alot better for your sideboard than Act of Treason, if you're bringing in something like that it's usually against life-gain cards, like Thragtusk and Centaur Healer a,d if you bring in Act of Treason it'll just undo their healing but not help put any more damage into them, if you have a conscripts you will bash in for additional damage rather than just undoing their damage.

Also for the record Hellraiser Goblin is an absolutely TERRIBLE card even in a 100% aggro deck because it lets your opponent make all of the decisions, as soon as you cast the goblin they are now the one who makes every single decision for the rest of the game regarding combat.

Seems like a pretty sweet deck overall, I know I wouldn't want to run into it smile

Thanks for the suggestions.

Although I disagree with the Zealous Conscripts being at 4 in an aggro deck designed to win turns 4-6. I also probably won't even see 5 mana by turn 5 with my luck. Probably better for me to use Act of Treason against Midrange decks.

Pyreheart Wolf is good, I just don't like that I can't even use its effect until turn 4, when I could be using Madcap Skills effect turn 2 with 1 drop creatures. That's where the Legion Loyalist comes into being useful here. I will test it though. Overall from what I can judge I see Madcap Skills' pros outweighing its cons. And if spot removal becomes a thing at my FNMs, I can worry about it then. I really do want to try and make it work though.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on Hellraiser Goblin

Sillvva wrote:
Zooligan wrote:

Got anything to remove your opponents' Blind Obedience??  That card would hose your plan entirely, and it'll hose your opponents' plans if you're ready for it.

Since you are already in white, Erase or Oblivion Ring might be worth thinking about putting in the SB.

I have been thinking about that. Just not sure what to remove in the SB. Since Act of Treason is my only decent response to Midrange decks, I could see:

-2 Pillar of Flame
+2 Erase

I've been playing RDW lately and want to turn it into a R/wDW kinda thing.  Blind Obedience scares the crap outta me.  I'm seriously thinking of putting 4 O-rings MB just to deal with it and other annoying permanants that crop up.

Last edited by Zooligan (2013-01-30 20:16:19)

Zooligan wrote:
Sillvva wrote:
Zooligan wrote:

Got anything to remove your opponents' [c]Blind Obedience[/c]??  That would hose your plan entirely, and hose your opponents' plans if you're ready for it.

Since you are already in white, [c]Erase[/c] or [c]Oblivion Ring[/c] might be worth thinking about putting in the SB.

-2 Pillar of Flame
+2 Erase

I've been playing RDW lately and want to turn it into a R/wDW kinda thing.  Blind Obedience scares the crap outta me.  I'm seriously thinking of putting 4 O-rings MB just to deal with it and other annoying permanants that crop up.

I think only a few decks would actually mainboard it. Blind Obedience is a sideboard card, so my answers will be sideboard cards. Especially since they do nothing to contribute to the goal of the deck other than deal with aggro hate.