Topic: chaos gods thematic decks...viable?

Hi all,

As new to the game (but not to the warhammer world) I inevitably succumbed to the idea of building thematic chaos decks for each chaos god.

I was wondering if it is just a waste of time since the game is probably not meant to allow such freedom and letting you get away with it. I am sure it will probably be fun building the decks and play with them but I am afraid that they will be kind of weak overall.

What do you guys think?

The idea would be to choose a specific hero tied to a specific god and then build the deck around it. At the moment I do not have enough cards to make decent decks so I might wait before trying to build such decks since I al planning to use close to 25 units.

Re: chaos gods thematic decks...viable?

Well, yeah, they probably will be weak. You won't be winning serious tournaments with a self-imposed restriction like that. But if it's what you enjoy, nothing's to keep you from constructing these decks for casual play. Naturally, it'd be best if you have opponents who won't go at you with their finely-tuned killer decks, but who are into thematic decks too.

If you can find some friends that want to play with a similar restriction, you could probably have some fun games of God vs God.

I currently have a Nurgle deck that is based on disease and corruption... works well against heavily ''unit based'' deck.  Still too slow for competitive play.

A Tzeench deck would be full of non-combat damage... interesting... but limited and weak against some kind of decks (like dwarves with toughness). I' built one (illegal) with 9 blue horrors and it's funny to play.

A Khorne deck would have is moments of glory if you mix it with all the available beastmen/marauders.  Agressive but outmatched if game goes long.  Still.. bloodletters...

Slaanesh do not have enough cards yet to build a deck around it.

I like thematic decks and I'll probably do them all someday.  But from now on, Nurgle is still the most potent one with all the disease cards and the Beast of rot.

Last edited by Goglutin (2011-06-16 18:48:24)