Topic: Slave Pen (sacrificing unit ruling)

Slave pen "Action:  Sacrifice a unit to put a resource token on this card".  After the damage has been assigned following a battle and a unit this person controls is taking damage, can they remove the unit from play with the damage on it and then say they are sacrificing it so they get to play a resource token on the Slave Pen card?  I am fighting this because if the damage is applied to the unit then that unit is destroyed and you can not sacrifice it too.

Right?

Re: Slave Pen (sacrificing unit ruling)

Non-combat damage is applied as soon as it is assigned. But during combat, there's an action window between assigning and applying. So yes, you can sacrifice a unit to Slave Pens that has damage assigned to it during combat before that damage is applied. And the damage is gone then, it does not get transferred to another unit or the capital.

I understand that there is a process describing the time between assigning and applying damage, but if it is assigned then the player removes that unit from play then the assigned damage is not assigned to anything anymore.  Making it so I should be able to reassign to another existing target, since we are still in the assigning phase.  I don't agree that the damage should just disappear since damage is assigned.  If you take away a target that I am assigning damage to than I can still change my mind on the target getting the damage if we are still in the assigning phase.

after you players choose defending and atacking units, they assign damage, then there is window for actions (after assign damage) if you sacrafice unit in this window, assign damage is lost, because you cannot back to moment assign damage.

Yeah, nothing can die while you are assigning damage.  Stuff can happen before, then you assign, then more stuff can happen, then you apply.

LoL @Entropy "Stuff" big_smile

This is still being disputed and causing tension.  Anyone have some sort of Warhammer Invasion rulebook page number or additional documentation that would specify this ruling?

Please help.

MovingTarget wrote:

This is still being disputed and causing tension.  Anyone have some sort of Warhammer Invasion rulebook page number or additional documentation that would specify this ruling?

Please help.

See the Warhammer Condensed Rulebook (http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=232) under : "4. Battlefield Phase".

It clearly says that there's a window between "4. Assign Damage" and "5. Apply Damage".

MovingTarget wrote:

Please help.

The important thing here is the type of damage. 
If it is non-combat damage, you can't apply the damage and sacrifice it. 
If its indirect damage, you can't apply the damage and sacrifice it. 
If its combat damage, there is an action window between assign and apply, so you can assign fatal damage to the unit, sacrifice it, and then apply the damage.  The assigned damage in this case just disappears.

I have a Question about Slave Pen sacrificing and direct damage.

Cards like [Plage Bomb] target units and deal damage simultaneously?

So I can not wait which targets my opponent chooses and secrefice according to it?
But I could chain a sacrifice of the most likly target before targeting and recieving damage?

is this correct?

erdbeerchen wrote:

I have a Question about Slave Pen sacrificing and direct damage.

Cards like [Plage Bomb] target units and deal damage simultaneously?

So I can not wait which targets my opponent chooses and secrefice according to it?
But I could chain a sacrifice of the most likly target before targeting and recieving damage?

is this correct?

No, cards like Plague Bomb have their targets chosen when the Tactic is played.  You then have an opportunity to respond before the damage is assigned and applied.  So you can sacrifice the unit to Slave Pen in reaction to your opponent targeting it with Plague Bomb.

Last edited by Entropy (2011-05-02 16:01:25)

oh thx! - this "no action phase" rule with direct damage got me confused sad

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/d/d/0/5/highres_34016581.jpeg

Just to be clear, that is only valid for combat damage, since there is no action window between assign/apply for non-combat.