Topic: WRG Human Angel Deck, specific question + general feedback.

Here is my current main deck: http://deckbox.org/sets/322272. It's a WRG deck primarily featuring Humans and Angels. I don't have enough cards to make a truly competitive constructed deck, but I still want to make the best constructed standard deck I can with my current inventory.

My first attempt at a human angel deck was pretty flawed. I think this one's better, but it would be very helpful to get some feedback on it, as I'm still quite new to the game. Specifically I was considering adding more of my Elvish Visionary and Arbor Elf to get the best cards going as fast as possible, but I wasn't sure which cards to replace. Any suggestions on this or any other issue with this deck would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by xlebec (2013-02-20 19:53:08)

Re: WRG Human Angel Deck, specific question + general feedback.

Well firstly I don't think you really need to worry about having a lot of humans, you've only got 4 cards in the deck that care about humans and so it's not really worth choosing humans over other cards when you won't always even get the cards that affect humans.

That being said I would say that Arbor Elf and Elvish Visionary are excellent choices. The visionary is good, not great but you really want to get to your big stuff as quickly as possible, another suggestion from me would be to add all of your cards with the ability "Extort", it allows you to gain life every time you cast a spell which is particularly good in a deck like this that wants to get into the late game, Elgaud Inquisitor and other similar cards are very good as well, he will gain you a little life (and therefore more time) and when he dies you get another creature. Ranger's Path is also very strong, it can ideally let you cast your Archangel on turn 4 (First either an arbor elf or avacyn's pilgrim or farseek, then on turn 3 ranger's path, then you have 6 mana for the next turn)

I would also say that you could use more ways to kill your opponent's creatures, Pillar of Flame, Prey Upon, Pacifism, Pit Fight, Brimstone Volly, and Searing Spear are all VERY good options, especially pacifism, these let you stop your opponent's creatures right away so that you can get yours out.

Finally if you're finding that your opponents tend to have a very powerful creature that can kill you very quickly Act of Treason is a very good choice as it lets you take that creature for a turn and kill them with it.

All of this depends on who you're playing of course, good luck and hope this helps

Thanks for the advice! I like your suggestions a lot actually. They all seem to help bring out the best in the deck by by letting me survive while building resources faster than my opponent. Dropping the explicit human theme makes sense; since there's not enough teamwork going on between them I might as well use the same manna to cast stronger individual creatures.

I was hoping to keep my instants and sorceries to a minimum, so if Charmbreaker Devils comes into play he'll be constantly reviving only the best possible spells. But I see that that's an infrequent scenario, whereas having more ways to deal with the opponent's cards will help me every game.

Thanks again for the help. I'll post the updated version of the deck when it's done.

New Version: http://deckbox.org/sets/323072

In summary I added the elvish land and card accelerators, and added an Ambush Viper and a Prey Upon for more creature removal. I replaced both Bonds of Faith cards with Pacifism. I added a Deadly Recluse to serve as a defender and a Wolfir Avenger to serve as a general purpose fighter. I removed mostly humans and buff enchantments. Finally I added a sideboard with a lot of specific removal cards.

I tried several "thought experiments" in which I would draw cards as if in a match to get a sense of how the deck worked. I didn't find the extortionist cards to pay off the way this deck was set up, since I often didn't have enough white manna to use the effect. Ranger's Path was too slow, and I already have enough land acceleration with the extra Arbor Elf. However, the increase in removal cards looked like it'd be helpful, and I wonder if I should replace another card with removal. I also was thinking of adding one more big expensive guy like Duskdale Wurm to increase the chance that I have something useful to do with all the manna generated later in the game, although I don't have an idea who I'd replace.

Thank you for helping me refine my deck, and for summing up the basic strategies I should be thinking about with a deck like this.

List of Changes (to main deck):

Added 1 Elvish Visionary, 1 Arbor Elf, 1 Ambush Viper, 1 Deadly Recluse, 1 Prey Upon, 1 Wolfir Avenger, 2 Pacifism

Removed 1 Hamlet Captain, 1 Attended Knight, 1 Elder Cathar, 1 Skyknight Legionnaire, 1 Seraph of Dawn, 2 Bonds of Faith, 1 Call to Serve

Last edited by xlebec (2013-02-21 07:47:37)