Topic: Golgari standard deck... Thoughts?

Built this standard deck, tweaked this multiple times, it does well and is super fun to play.

Let me know what you think, I am always open to suggestions!

http://deckbox.org/sets/339239

Re: Golgari standard deck... Thoughts?

With only 20 lands, you really aren't going to be able to play Necropolis Regent consistently.  Further, really how many times are you getting that many counters off of it?  I'd suggest dropping the Regents for Hunger of the Howlpack (which can be a HUGE boost with the morbid trigger) and/or Increasing Savagery - in both cases you're making your creatures huge for a much smaller mana investment.  Further, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord is welcome here, as he'll either be a nice creature addition or an alternate win-con as you can sack things to him to take the opponent out.  Aside from that, Rancor should be in the mainboard.  You want to trade creatures and any trample damage you can get through is just gravy.

I'd rework the SB as well, as many of the pieces aren't all that versatile or tailored to any specific matchup.  When would you side in Ranger's Path?  What would you side out?  When would you side in Arbor Elf?  What goes out?

I actually get Necropolis Regent out on a consistent basis with somberwald sage.

I do like the idea of adding Jarad, I just dont have any.

I was thinking of pulling out the dreg manglers and mainboarding rancor or maybe dropping wasteland viper..

The sideboard can essentially be ignored. It is pretty much just where cards went as the deck changed. It originally had some very different mechanics

This deck is ever evolving which is why I have so much fun with it.
Thanks for the input!

Last edited by afraidofcrushes (2013-03-22 20:38:17)

I'd still be a bit wary as Somberwald Sage is a pretty fragile way to get the big stuff out.  The better question is, how often do you play it unassisted by the sage?

When it comes to pulling something to make room for Rancor, I'd suggest the Wasteland Viper over Dreg Mangler as the manglers give you a bigger body, haste, and scavenge (all things you'll enjoy having) - whereas the viper really is just in there for the combat trick.

The sage is definitely fragile, but I like it because I can also use it to fish for removal spells. I definitely agree with you on the vipers. I mostly play this deck multiplayer so I have a little more time most games. I may try hunger of the howl pack the idea of making things that much faster just makes sense.

One thing I'd consider as well is ditching evolving wilds for the guildgate.

Evolving wilds is there for the possible mana boost with deathrite shaman. was thinking of dropping them for haunted fengraf and rogue's passage.

I am going to do some work on this deck today as I will have time.