Topic: noob, got a lot of cards now, trying 1st black deck, how many lands?

Hello,

Still awaiting to play my first ever game tonight hehe. I had just a few cards and now i have many more so I am building my first black only deck with my selection of cards.. I had a hard time removing about 150 cards i wanted to play to get to 53 cards. Prob still need to remove more?

Can someone look at this deck and tell me how many lands i may need? Note i have a bunch of cards that will deliver mana to me without lands. So maybe i dont need too many?

This deck ended up being a life sucking, life adding, card removing, mana building type of black deck.

Any tips appreciated, feel free to scan the library of mine if i should be doing something else?

The way i see it now, i have so much mana building stuff that i can cast sorcery spells to help kill my opponent but i need lands for the few creatures i have (mostly larger).

Thanks!

http://deckbox.org/sets/360860

Re: noob, got a lot of cards now, trying 1st black deck, how many lands?

You're going to want more mana there, you don't have that much. Fill it back up to 60 with swamps or other lands with black mana

60 swamps would make an EDH deck right?

I think i need to cut some stuff to keep near 60 cards? but a lot of my cards generate mana, so not sure what to do.

i havent added swamps yet, wondered how many to add with factoring in my mana generating items.

he was saying add 7 swamps to get the deck up to 60.

while you do have plenty of mana sources, they all require mana to get onto the field.
Personally I'd add 11 mana and see if i couldn't find at least a couple more cards to cut since 20% of your cards require 5 mana or more.

Magic's own products recommend more mana than that.

Deck Builder's Toolkit wrote:

Most Magic decks have 24 land cards. Very fast decks might run as few as 21 land and slower controlling decks might have 27. But 24 is a smart number to stick to until you have a sense of what your deck needs.

A general rule that i have found effective is to have 1 land for every 2 cards as long as you have a general cc of 3 or less with some cards that can add mana boosts. I have also found that lands that HAVE TO come into play tapped sets me back too much so I do not run those. I would rather run lands like Cabal Coffers or even phyrexian tower if you can get a bonus of sending the creature to the graveyard.

When I  started playing MTG, my friend who has been playing for many, many years gave me the following guideline: when building a deck always have a minimum of 40% lands.  In a 60 card deck, that would be 24 lands and 36 of anything else.