Topic: Local Tournament Deck (Boros/B [Standard])

http://deckbox.org/sets/381865

Putting this together asap so I can start trading for the cards I need to make a deck I can take to FNM, or just smoke my friends with cool Haven't made a Standard deck before, but not many decks altogether, so if you have suggestions or improvements, let me know big_smile

Right now, I am aiming for an invincible army with my Boros Charm / Legion's Initiative playsets, trying to capitalize on the W/R buffs and ETB effects with cards like Blaze Commando and Viashino Firstblade. Best trick this deck does is 3 combat phases with Aurelia, the Warleader + Legion's Initiative, but it also can buff the multicolored creatures further with a Maze Abomination, protected by a Mask of Avacyn, which can also be used when needed elsewhere. Sorin, Lord of Innistrad can come in and instantly give the game-long permanent for the +1/+0 for my creatures, depending on the pace.

If you know of meaner ETB effects, or good multicolored token generators, I would like to know tongue

Last edited by Kyrs (2013-05-14 19:42:40)

Re: Local Tournament Deck (Boros/B [Standard])

typically to be consistent with your plays you'll want to add more land the more cards you have over 4 cost.  IE: a land a turn.

In your case running an auriela or 2 isn't bad but you'd need to have 25 or so lands to make sure when you get her you draw land consistently enough to get up to 6.  A deck running 22-23 lands might consistently hit 5, but 6 would be stretching it.  You might consider going more midrange or more aggro.  Below are examples of both you could try.

Aggro RW Humans

Creatures (27)

4 Ash Zealot
    4 Boros Elite
    4 silver Blade Paladin
    4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Frontline Medic
    4 Hellrider
    4 Lightning Mauler

Lands (22)

7 Mountain
    6 Plains
    3 Clifftop Retreat
    4 Sacred Foundry
    2 Slayers' Stronghold

Spells (11)

3 Madcap Skills
    2 Boros Charm
    4 Searing Spear
    2 Gather the Townsfolk

Midrange W/R - article covering the strategy of the deck as well

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11146

2 Aurelia, the Warleader
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Hellrider
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Silverblade Paladin
3 Tajic, Blade of the Legion
4 Thundermaw Hellkite

3 Boros Charm
4 Legion's Initiative
1 Oblivion Ring
4 Searing Spear

4 Clifftop Retreat
8 Mountain
6 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
2 Slayers' Stronghold

Took a long look at those, and tried out a new Boros deck; found here.
Mostly operates on battalion effects, supported by Boros Charm and Boros Commando.

I'd cut the black, it's not doing a lot for you.  If you want a burn spell like rakdos return then aurelia's fury is on color and has more beneficial effects to the type of deck you're trying to play.

I'd cut some of the spells in favor of some more creatures.  Boros elite is good. Stromkirk noble is a good one drop as well. Legion's initiative is a strong card for a deck like this I'd try to find a way to maind dec at least a couple.  See if you can pick up some lightning maulers and boros reckoners as well.  Tajic is a srong card, but I think blaze commando cost to much for what he gives you.  Burning tree emmissary can work too, she enables lightning mauler on turn 2 and you could pump up with a madcap skills or volcanic str.  Aggro decks are like pyramids, 1 drops make up the base, then 2 drops, then 3 drops,  and you want to top out at only a few of the high cost cards.  I see you have vexing devil, he's technically a 1 drop, but 90% of players aren't going to let him stay in play, and getting creatures on the board is what you need to do with a R/W aggro deck.

Ideally you want to end the game on turn 5ish.  Going to a FNM with an aggro deck that doesn't shoot for at least a turn 4-5 win will probably be too slow.  Most tournament worthy decks can stabilize around turn 5 putting them out of kill range for you.  So, you either need to go full aggro, or take it more mid-range.  the mid-range version of the deck I posted on bottom has  little more reach a bonded thundermaw to a silver blade can be devastating.

tldr: too many 4-5-6 drops, not enough 1-2-3 drops for an aggro deck.