Topic: G/W Midrange/Resource Denial deck comments wanted

So, what do you folks think?  Members of nother forum have commented negatively re: Cloudshift and Acidic Slime, but were not real forthcoming with any alternatives as to what might go better in their place.  I'm not totally convinced anything needs to go in their place and that the deck's pretty resiliant as-is.  Curious as to your opinions.

http://deckbox.org/sets/386494

Re: G/W Midrange/Resource Denial deck comments wanted

The only thing that sticks out to me is the guildgate, I'd ditch that for a basic plains.  Other than that, I see where you're going and it all seems to make sense together.

I mean I can see where someone would be coming from as Acidic Slime is the only target you would benefit from Cloudshifting, making it a largely dead card.  Perhaps slide Rancor into the spot for those three?  You can already flicker the slimes with the Restoration Angels.

Aside from that, Giant Growth in the SB?  I'm not sure I see where/when you side that in.  I could see changing those three slots to two Thragtusks and an Angel of Serenity in case your more aggressive strategy comes up short and you need to slide in some more mid-range elements.

OK, good thoughts on those. 

Re: Giant Growth, i like the instant speed of it for pumping attackers or blockers.  I find myself getting 2-for-1'ed with Rancor.  I try to stick it on something and that target gets killed, with Rancor fizzling to the GY.

Re cloudshift, gotta remember they're also good for blinking out things after a block but before combat damage.  this is especially effective with Resto itself, as you then get it's ETB effect.  Also AoS as you mentioned would be a prime blinker as well.

1W to Slime a land or problem artifact/enchantment, or to save a blocker from the GY seems pretty effective to me.  I still could be talked out of it, but it'll take some more pragmatic swaps with good explanations to do it.

Last edited by Zooligan (2013-05-24 14:18:22)

Personally I think you should go for full reanimate with unburial rites.  You have a lot of the cards and acidic slime is very dangerous in the deck. It's got everything you you're trying to do with this deck plus it's dangerous to everything else thats out there

I'm not sure i have the high-$ cards to pull off full-on Reanimator.  No Thragtusk, no Souls, no B/W or G/B dual lands, etc.

It does have a cost associated with it, and with rotation being mere months away it might not be advisable to trade for a bunch of cards.  It is a good deck though and it does exactly what you're trying to do, but better.

A friend of mine decimated my jund deck with slime reanimating.  Most frustrating loss I've had in a long time.

Thrags and the lands are down in cost, this might not be a bad time to look into them even if only for a short while.  You don't have to have lingering souls or smiters.  there are variations out there.