Topic: What is this? (Hallowed Fountain)

Today I received in a trade a Hallowed Fountain that seems a little odd.  You know how cards from recent preconstructed products (Commander decks, Modern Event Deck, etc.) have a different kind of finish to the cards, they look feel "glossier" or "waxier" than normal cards from booster packs?  Well, this Hallowed Fountain has that same look and feel to it, but it has the RTR set symbol on it and as far as I can tell, Hallowed Fountain was never in any of the RTR-block theme decks or anything...what gives?  Has anyone else ever seen pack-pulled cards with that same "alternate" finish as the supplemental products have?

Last edited by IronMagus (2014-11-28 23:53:49)

Re: What is this? (Hallowed Fountain)

Hm I have never seen one with that kind of gloss on it. And I do not think they were in any event deck.

Oh, actually it looks like it was in the Theros event deck, and I was just looking for RTR-block stuff at first. I guess that explains it, then smile

I've cracked many set packs with the glossier look and feel.  They seem fairly well mixed with the smoother packs here in central Texas.  I assume how many you get of each type is based on geographical regions and how WoTC distributes cards from their two printers.