Topic: [Suggestion] Better control over the way decks interact with inventory

At the very simplest, this could be implemented through two new actions: syncing your entire inventory with your trade list, and removing the cards in a deck from your trade list. This way, for those of us who would be willing to trade any card we're not using (for the right price, of course,) can add all of our inventory to the trade list with one click, then go back and remove the cards from the decks that I have built.

A (hypothetical) example: I have 6 Terramorphic Expanses, and click "Sync Trade List". There are now 6 Terramorphic Expanses in my trade list. I then go back to my built decks, and click "Remove from Trade List" for each deck I actually have built. If I have two decks built with 2 Terramorphic Expanses each, my trade list now contains 2 Terramorphic Expanses. Coincidentally, that's how many I have not in decks, and I can also use my trade list as my "available inventory" if I like.

This method only requires the adding of these two buttons, without any reworking of the databases, and helps the situation my friends and I have where "everything not in one of our decks is our trade list," but there's no painless way to do that, so the actual trade list never gets updated, and the automatic comparison with wish lists is useless.

A second method would be to add an intermediate "available inventory," which would work in the same method as above (syncing inventory with available inventory, and removing built decks from it,) but wouldn't count as a trade list, for those people who want to maintain a trade list manually. In my opinion, this is the best option, but requires fiddling with the actual databases. This way, when you go to make a new deck with 4 Terramorphic Expanses, (continuing the above example,) you're warned that even though you own 6, only 2 are available for new decks.

Additionally, users should be able to pick which lists they want to see, wherever they are. If you want to see your trade list count while building a deck, you should have that option (especially if you're using your trade list as available inventory, as above.)

Finally, why can't you add cards  to your decks from other decks? It seems a little silly, if you have a bunch of cards in one deck selected, that you can't add them to one of yours. The ability is there, the options just not given. The site's amazing when you use it one specific way, but I feel like there's a lot of untapped potential there to make things a lot more user-friendly. Thanks for listening, and keep up the great work on the site!

Re: [Suggestion] Better control over the way decks interact with inventory

I like the available inventory idea for sure, good for those of us with lots of decks, or decks they make for family members.

Yes please please please add an "available" column to the inventory which would be Total of Inventory - Total of cards in deck = Cards available.

Thanks in advance,

Jankos

cyclotis04 's first idea is interesting, but will only benefit the people who want to trade every card they don't use.

If you have all your cards in the database (lots of commons you don't really use), and you want to keep a set (4 pieces) of each, for collecting and for "fun" decks, lets say pauper, edh, cube draft, etc. then you will end up with a tone of cards that you have, don't use, but don't want to trade. I think many of us are in this situation. In this case this inventory-deck-tradelist synchronization won't help us not one bit. But as it is optional, I can see how this helps others.

The second method is futile. I mean when building a deck, you do have the number of cards in your inventory and in your current deck available side by side. You can do the math smile. In your example you wanted to know how many cards are left for.. lets say your family member. The usefulness of this is way to low comparing to how annoying can this be, especially with a warning. Most of us have lots of decks, some for fun, some under development, some just copies of decks found interesting here and there, and most of us don't share cards with a second person (or if we do they have their own account tongue ).
I give you a real example: I have a Tectonic Edge... I use it in all my deck (cause its a fine card), I know I have only one card, and would really be annoyed if somewhere I get the info that there are -37 cards of it available, or the warning all the time. As I said, most of us have a set of 4 cards and use it in many many decks over and over, so summing up cards in decks is useless.

To be able to add cards (not just the name, but the number the deck uses) from one deck to another can be useful. I know that at this point we can copy the whole deck, or add cards easily to existing decks, but hey... some of us are more lazy than others....so the feature is welcomed.

Of course the feature would be optional and could be turned off through the columns menu.

It would be very helpful for me though.

Let's say for example I have 5 lightning bolts in my inventory and in one deck I have 4 lightning bolts.

The columns in inventory would now be 5 for inventory 0 for tradelist 0 for wishlist.

The suggestion is to add a 4th column which could either be "available" or "deck". If it was available then in this example the column would list 1 because I only have 1 available to put in a deck. If the column were deck it would show 4 because I have 4 being used in decks.

The second method is futile. I mean when building a deck, you do have the number of cards in your inventory and in your current deck available side by side. You can do the math

This doesn't quite work because, going back to my example, I'm building a second deck so it still shows 5 in my inventory even though I don't have 5 available to use. I don't know about you but I have many many decks and I dont want to go through each one to search for the cards I need to take out and put in another deck.

So although it may not be useful to everyone, as an optional feature it would benefit a lot of people.

I would also really like the ability to see how many cards are available (in your inventory but not used in a deck).

Inventory count minus the number of cards in decks would be a good start, but it would be more useful to define your own, since you can be planning decks you don't have built, or used to have but disassembled and want to keep for reference.

Inventory count minus the number of cards in decks would be a good start

I would be more than content with just this.

- Apparatus

I would like to see one of two things...

1) when a card is put into a deck put the card into the deck and alow the # of cards in that deck to be changed without affecting the # of those cards in the inventory.

2) a colum could be added to the inventory list for each new deck allowing users to indicate how many of each card is in each deck.

Just a couple of thoughts.  I hope they make sense... it's late and I'm not sure it's reading right... big_smile

[mtg][/mtg]

Apparatus wrote:

Inventory count minus the number of cards in decks would be a good start

I would be more than content with just this.

This or a number of cards used in my decks might be a good idea for an optional extra column...

I think a small suite of tools for managing your tradelist would be useful, including:

* Add/remove all cards of [criteria] to tradelist
     eg. criteria defining colour, cart type, text matches, etc. (already implemented in inventory search)
* Add all cards in excess of 4x to tradelist
* Add all cards not in decks to tradelist/remove all cards in decks from tradelist

There are potentially other useful management shortcuts.

cyclotis04 wrote:

Inventory count minus the number of cards in decks would be a good start, but it would be more useful to define your own, since you can be planning decks you don't have built, or used to have but disassembled and want to keep for reference.

I agree. It would be nice to have a box to tick for each new deck that says something to the effect of "Remove cards in this deck from my available inventory." This would "lock in" complete decks, but allow experimentation with new deck ideas, and a way to keep on record older deck "blueprints" without causing mayhem with your available inventory.

I saw this idea in another thread:

If there is an option when editing decks to say the deck is either "planned deck" or "actualized deck" (or different terms). The website can have an uneditable field in the inventory section for "Available Cards". This field can automatically be calculated with:

Total Cards - Cards in Actualized Decks = Available Cards

Such a clean solution!

TurkeyMan wrote:

* Add all cards in excess of 4x to tradelist

I really like this idea.  I don't feel the need to keep any more than 4 copies of a card in my collection which, by default, means that any in excess of 4 are available for trade.  Perfect!

1awesomeguy wrote:

Total Cards - Cards in Actualized Decks = Available Cards

Such a clean solution!

This is also a good idea for those who like to own every card they use instead of using proxies or not building a deck because they only have 4 Force of Wills and not 8.  It would be nice, however, if this was optional; as stated above I don't keep anything more than 4 copies so this setting would be fairly useless to me and those who share my opinion.