Topic: [Standar] Anti Red Deck Wins

My FNM has seen many forms of this deck recently.  What is the deckbox communities recommendations to go against this deck?  Thanks for your opinions.

Re: [Standar] Anti Red Deck Wins

It depends. Are you asking what kind of deck should you be running to deal with RDW, or, rather, what cards to include in your potential already existing deck?

Anyway, good cards against RDW are, in my experience, Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrow, Anger of the Gods (End Hostilities, even), Arc Lightning, Circle of flame, Hornet Nest, Searing Blood.

Vladberlea wrote:

It depends. Are you asking what kind of deck should you be running to deal with RDW, or, rather, what cards to include in your potential already existing deck?

Anyway, good cards against RDW are, in my experience, Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrow, Anger of the Gods (End Hostilities, even), Arc Lightning, Circle of flame, Hornet Nest, Searing Blood.

That is what I was looking for the cards that make their life difficult. 

I would also be interested in what type of deck is good against them.  It seems the Meta just gets faster and faster at my FNMs.

Do you play that G/W lifegain deck that you have listed on your profile at your FNMs? if not, then what decks do you play? I might be able to suggest stuff for them

Vladberlea wrote:

Do you play that G/W lifegain deck that you have listed on your profile at your FNMs? if not, then what decks do you play? I might be able to suggest stuff for them

Yes I play that and my Minotaur deck primarily. 

https://deckbox.org/sets/812097  GW Lifegain

https://deckbox.org/sets/854233 Minotaurs

Thanks for looking.

Abazan is a good deck against RDW they often can't beat the removal plust life gains.  Seige rhino, courser, caryatid, wingmate rock, heros downfall, drown in sorrow, bile blight... they just can't deal.

I've also beaten rdw rw tokens with my temur midrange.

Whoa, I never even knew that so many minotaurs existed! Well, since they all have butts of 3 or more, Drown in Sorrow will kill almost everything they have, leaving your stuff with one or more toughness. Sure, they all get -2 power, too, so you can't really attack all that effectively that turn, but at least it wipes part of their board, leaving yours intact. Bile Blight is very good, too, given you can afford the BB cost (which you should be able to do, more often than not, given that you run 3 Urborgs!) and it will wipe out tokens, rabblemasters and other critters without missing a hearbeat. Circle of Flame could be interesting, too, provided they don't run Hall of Triumph or the like (Spear of Heliod, Obelisk of Urd). I'd run 1 or 2 Circles in the sideboard. You might not be able to afford to consistenly cast Searing Blood turns 2 or 3 (especially if you start the game with a T1 Thoughtseize, meaning you'd need black mana turn 1), so I'm conflicted about running it, even in the sideboard. It might prove useful later in the game, though, but I still think magma spray is the best, even when compared to lightning strike. Hope this helps! big_smile

Vladberlea wrote:

Whoa, I never even knew that so many minotaurs existed! Well, since they all have butts of 3 or more, Drown in Sorrow will kill almost everything they have, leaving your stuff with one or more toughness. Sure, they all get -2 power, too, so you can't really attack all that effectively that turn, but at least it wipes part of their board, leaving yours intact. Bile Blight is very good, too, given you can afford the BB cost (which you should be able to do, more often than not, given that you run 3 Urborgs!) and it will wipe out tokens, rabblemasters and other critters without missing a hearbeat. Circle of Flame could be interesting, too, provided they don't run Hall of Triumph or the like (Spear of Heliod, Obelisk of Urd). I'd run 1 or 2 Circles in the sideboard. You might not be able to afford to consistenly cast Searing Blood turns 2 or 3 (especially if you start the game with a T1 Thoughtseize, meaning you'd need black mana turn 1), so I'm conflicted about running it, even in the sideboard. It might prove useful later in the game, though, but I still think magma spray is the best, even when compared to lightning strike. Hope this helps! big_smile

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm not convinced Thoughtsieze is the best card for the deck, but I thought I'd give them a try.  I'm always tweaking on the minotaur deck.  It is a blast to play.