Topic: G/W Commander

Hello all. Long time fan, first time player. As the topic subject says, this is a green & white commander-style deck that I have put together with my wife and mine's collection (with help from friends). The basic idea is to use a combination of life-gain and big monsters to keep me afloat. Other than that, not much to say as I've really just started playing last week. https://deckbox.org/sets/860882

comments/critiques/suggestions are always welcome. Thank you for taking your time to look it over.

Re: G/W Commander

Hey there,

First, do you understand the color identity restrictions in EDH?
Since your commander is identified for the colors White and Green, you cannot use cards that can be identified to other colors.
For example, your Archers' Parapet cannot be used in your deck because of the above.

Also, I have a similar deck. What I aim for is token reproduction and life gain. Storm Herd is a perfect finisher for my strategy, maybe it could apply to yours as well.

With something that has "Whenever another creature enters the battlefield" effect, it just stacks so quickly.
For instance: Cathars' Crusade and Champion of Lambholt makes easy to stack the counters.

Last edited by Jay4prez (2014-12-23 21:00:14)

Jay4prez wrote:

Since your commander is identified for the colors White and Green, you cannot use cards that can be identified to other colors.
For example, your Archers' Parapet cannot be used in your deck because of the above.

To expand on this, a card's color identity is defined by any mana symbols in the mana cost of the card or any abilities it has. A commander (EDH) deck can only contain cards that have a color identity included in the commander's color identity. Archers' Parapet, for example, is a Green card (since it only costs green mana to cast), BUT it's color identity is black/green because of the black mana in it's ability. Therefore it can only be used in commander decks in which the commander is both black and green.
Other examples of color identities:
Bosh, Iron Golem is red.
Memnarch is blue.
Qasali Pridemage is green/white.
Kitchen Finks is green/white.
Selesnya Signet is green/white.
Hypergenesis is green.
Fetch lands such as Flooded Strand are colorless.(See, no mana symbols)
Basic lands are their respective colors. (Plains is white.)

The one exception to this is that mana symbols in reminder text don't count. Blind Obedience is a white card with a mono-white identity because the black symbol is in the reminder text. Dual lands like Steam Vents are their respective colors because of Rule 305.6.

This is also just as a general rule, EDH decks should have 40 lands. You can cut 1 land for every 2 mana rocks.

FlutterGuy wrote:

This is also just as a general rule, EDH decks should have 40 lands. You can cut 1 land for every 2 mana rocks.

This really depends on the mana curve of the deck as well as a number of other factors. I've run as few as 35 lands in an edh deck before.

Add: I've never seen higher than 40 though.

Last edited by Kammikaze (2014-12-24 04:19:15)

Thanks for the feedback you guys. I should have mentioned that it is a G/W/Colorless as well as fixing the Augury Adept and Divinity of Pride. The land count will be addressed and the deck will be going through some revisions as I just got new stuff.

To any future posters, this deck is no longer together. I have not found how to 'delete' topics yet.