Topic: [Modern][Opinions] Kiln Fiend Win

I've seen a few ideas for this deck bouncing around, but most of them are too slow to be effective in modern. I've created a variant that I think is capable of reliably winning on turn 3, sometimes as early as turn 2, and often unavoidably by turn 4. Take a look at the decklist.

2x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Kiln Fiend
4x Memnite
2x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Simian Spirit Guide
3x Balduvian Rage
4x Crimson Wisps
2x Lightning Bolt
4x Manamorphose
3x Assault Strobe
4x Haze of Rage
4x Infernal Plunge
3x Rift Bolt
17x Mountain

----

Good first turn:

Mountain -> Memnite -> Infernal Plunge -> Kiln Fiend -> Rift Bolt

Good second turn:

Rift Bolt triggers -> Mountain -> Manamorphose -> Exile Simian Spirit Guide -> Needle Drop -> Lightning Bolt -> Swing with Kiln Fiend for 13, Rift Bolt hit already for 3, Lightning Bolt hits for 3 damage. Needle Drop for 1. 20 damage on turn 2 with a lack of blocker.

There's a lot of card draw in this deck making it easy to draw into your threats and keep your damage relevant so you can avoid top-decking. There's enough burn that on turn 1 or 2, you can easily burn out their lone blocker, as it's unlikely they'll have more than one. If they do, I can always sideboard something like grapeshot.

Infernal Plunge can be used to get a burst of mana, provided you have a Memnite, or even a Monastery Swiftspear on the field.

Balduvian Rage for 0 pumps Kiln Fiend for 1 red mana and draws you a card the next turn.

With 6 mana, Haze of Rage is just absurd. Even the storm effect on one cast can give your Kiln Fiend +4/+0.

Manamorphose is the real MVP. Trigger Kiln Fiend, and draw a card for FREE. A couple of those and you'll be laughing all the way to your opponent's demise.

The only thing you have to worry about is an early Path to Exile or a Lightning Bolt. Even then, your Monastery Swiftspear can get really big, and can dodge a bolt with a few pumps. Give it Assault Strobe and it suddenly becomes almost as dangerous.

Crimson Wisps can help you cast a Kiln Fiend if you top deck one, and then pump it up for an immediate attack.

As long as your opening hand and draws are good, you can routinely beat your opponent before they can react.

Re: [Modern][Opinions] Kiln Fiend Win

Travis Woo was tinkering with a list just like this.  Take a gander at what he was up to: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles … dirty-red/

Re: [Modern][Opinions] Kiln Fiend Win

I've actually made it more explosive with Gut Shot and Mutagenic Growth. I thought about adding Mental Misstep before realizing it was banned. The "Free" cost is great for Phyrexian Mana. I've added more Double Strike. The amount of card draw means that even on turn 4 or 5, this deck is relevant. I've bounced around the idea of Gitaxian Probe or even Boros Charm.