Topic: Scammer Alert

http://deckbox.org/users/SinfulKayla

This dude has 10 feedback today, all trades completed within mins of each other. Sent and received. I reported it, but I feel like a person with 10 refs in 10 mins needs a thread to war other users.  All his fake accounts have 1 ref. Look at the times.

No way this is legit and it's easy for him to start scamming others

We all need to be vigilant

Re: Scammer Alert

I hit the report button with this feedback "Scammer, has 10 feedback instantly all today from fake accounts. Please ban all 11 accounts."

Definitely worth it to get all the accounts banned not just the first one. At least to make the scammer go through the hassle of setting up 11 new accounts again instead of just giving 9 feedback to one of the other ones.

I also reported the other accounts. Great catch!

I opened trades with each of SinfulKayla's potential victims to warn them as well, just in case they aren't reading the forums. I've been scammed before and it sucks, hopefully these people avoid it!

STLCards wrote:

I opened trades with each of SinfulKayla's potential victims to warn them as well, just in case they aren't reading the forums. I've been scammed before and it sucks, hopefully these people avoid it!

This is why I think if someone reports your account for scamming, the account needs to instantly be frozen to prevent others from getting scammed

valdor wrote:
STLCards wrote:

This is why I think if someone reports your account for scamming, the account needs to instantly be frozen to prevent others from getting scammed

Well it's tricky because it lends itself to abuse (lets say you have a contentious trade negotation and someone leaves feeling angry, they can report an account just to freeze them out for a few days while admins investigate). Maybe if only certain users with like 100+ feedback could do this it might work, but low accounts with low feedback (and I say this as a person with single digit feedback so far) are too easy to re-create for the purposes of trolling.

STLCards wrote:
valdor wrote:
STLCards wrote:

Well it's tricky because it lends itself to abuse (lets say you have a contentious trade negotation and someone leaves feeling angry, they can report an account just to freeze them out for a few days while admins investigate). Maybe if only certain users with like 100+ feedback could do this it might work, but low accounts with low feedback (and I say this as a person with single digit feedback so far) are too easy to re-create for the purposes of trolling.

Yeah, I totally agree that it is ripe for abuse. I know there is not an elegant solution that wont be abusable, I just fear that if does this scam, in the couple of days that Sebi is investigating, they might have 4 other people send  then scam them. Depending on the value (and I doubt it will be a small trade) the scammer will come out ahead and it all be worth it to them.

In this case, it's blatantly obvious. I agree that retaliation or just simply abuse to screw with the system is a possibility, but I would rather be shut down right away and reinstated to protect the collective, then to have these returning rippers who are clearly "testing" the response time of the new system.

Scammers show no mercy and are always looking for a backdoor to get in. I suspect we will see these scammer accounts evolve as crooks are sometimes quite talented (shame they can't put this energy to good use).

I am just glad other people saw this too, I happened to stumble upon it by accident.

Going forward, I plan to check all new users I come across and double check their refs. I have no issues mashing that report button all day every day to make the site safer.

EDIT: Can we get a feature that excludes suspended users cards from appearing on the "cards for trade" stream?  Seems like easy coding to me..

Last edited by TechnicolorMage (2016-04-13 22:54:48)

+Rep for Technicolormage,Great guy and helps keep the community clean by catching things like this.