Topic: New deck Opinions please!

Just what the title says.
Its a blue black zombie deck I have named Zombie Overload. The sideboard is not totally built yet.
https://deckbox.org/sets/1379687

Format is standard. Looking to play my buddies and at Friday Night Magic. If I happen to work my way into a tourney then so be it. I wouldn't mind if this deck was good enough to hold its own.
As far as strategy is concerned. Zombie tokens galore. I built this deck envisioning being able to build up a large horde of zombie to be used for exploiting or other things. While being able to semi control what my opponent is doing. That being said I wanted more than one main strategy. The Alt-win card Triskaidekaphobia is in there for that reason. I am thinking you could get an overall idea of what I was thinking by looking at the deck. I will spend what I need to to get the deck worthy.

The last time I was serious about playing magic was 15 years ago. I am 31 now. I have been playing again for about 3 months now. Yes, I still wish I had my cards from back then. My mother threw them away, and yes I was mad. I still tease her about it. I had some really expensive cards when it comes to today's standards. Anyway I hope I have provided enough info. Have any questions I will try my best to answer them.

Last edited by 1146130898731723 (2016-04-19 03:45:53)

Re: New deck Opinions please!

i think you are trying to do too many things, you need to gather your deck around a central theme i believe your canter theme is UB zombie deck with graveyard interaction.
Diregraf Colossus is good in the deck if so you should run more then one
Hand of Silumgar on the other does not fit this deck and should be taken out, so does Triskaidekaphobia which is cute but doesn't really do anything.
get you some, Fleshbag Marauder,  Forgotten Creation (which is a great way to get cards in your graveyard), Geralf's Masterpiece, Liliana, Heretical Healer (if budget bot an issue), Prized Amalgam, Drownyard Temple (to returen the land to play from your graveyard), heir of falkenrath. get some madness cards Gissa's Bidding,Murderous Compulsion , Alms of the Vein.

i hope this helps.

Thank you for your opinion. Why is it bad to have several strategies in one deck. I totally understand what you are saying and understand the cards you recommend. I wanted to build a deck that was a little outside the box. Something that could be used but catch people off guard as being outside of the norm all the while still be a good deck. So many people build a deck that focuses on a certain combo or a certain set of cards. Is it possible to do this in your opinion?

you are asking is it possible to win with this deck sure!
you are welcome to play with it and see once you play a few times you will see that some cards that you draw do not really help you and you will know to take them out.

I asked if it was possible to build a deck with several main strategies, instead of having one main goal. Winning is a result. I am not focused on that as of right now. I am focused on building a unique deck.

The argument against employing several strategies hinges on the trade-off between consistency and each strategy. The most focused the strategy is, the more consistent it will play out. As the focus frays to other strategies, it's a total hit or miss whether you will get the pieces you need.

If you're going all zombies (see this build for an example: https://deckbox.org/sets/1384236), then you want to have 3-4 of the key cards to ensure that you will hit them every game. This will allow the deck to play consistently, give you to learn the various lines of play available, and be able to anticipate and play to your "outs."

If you employ a number of different strategies, it's less likely you will see them with regularity and, as is the case with Diregraf Colossus, this loss of consistency when hitting your synergy cards will be a general detriment. It also makes EVERY game a puzzle to play through as there's no telling which strategy you should be most attentive to.

Thank you! I think maybe I am thinking to much. I am very analytical and tend to over think things. I have been playing against this deck a lot. http://www.mtgvault.com/netking/decks/r … olf-aggro/ It is a buddies of mine, he has won a handful of friday night magics with it and it totally puts the hurting on me. I like the deck you linked. I have two Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet and want to find a way to incorporate the card.

I am running into the issue of not being able to fully complete any combos that I can. I Will rethink my deck with what you linked in consideration and see what I come up with. Thank you again for your time.