Topic: UW Modern Control Budget Opinions

(https://deckbox.org/sets/1576104)
I would like some feedback on my deck idea.  I'm looking to trade a small collection in for a few good decks with some of my favored cards.  I have a (Mangara of Corondor) playset that I wanna make into an (exile all opponents permanents) deck to try out casually at the cardshop.

The idea is to (Boomerang) or (Mana Leak) with (Isochron Scepter) for early control by coutering and bouncing lands or threats.  Protect with (Loyal Sentry) and (Chronomantic Escape), then manipulate (Mangara of Corondor) with (Mistmeadow Witch) and (Illusionist's Bracers) to exile what's out.  End game going infinite with (Tidewater Minion) and lock with (Perplexing Chimera).  I like the way this deck interacts with itself, and would like suggestions on tweaking the idea. I know all the combos work, I just don't know how it will hold up against other decks.
  Thanks for reading all this, I look forward to any suggestions.

Re: UW Modern Control Budget Opinions

I have a Roon of the Hidden Realm commander deck that uses Managar of Corondor as removal. If you flicker Mangara while the ability is on the stack, you still get to exile the target but Mangara comes back. Momentary Blink and Cloudshift are probably the best Modern-legal cards that work with Isochron Scepter. If you decide to add the flicker-effects, Wall of Omens, Sea Gate Oracle, and Reflector Mage are good options as well.

Thousand-Year Elixir is also strong. It allows you to use Mangara's ability immediately and use it twice.

I am not a huge fan of Chronomatic Escape and Tidewater Minion. My opinion is that they are very slow and very low impact.

Re: UW Modern Control Budget Opinions

Firstly, thanks for responding  Thousand-year elixir is a great suggestion, a lil pricey for me, but it will prolly make this deck! Momentary blink and cloudshift were already gonna make it back in somehow.
  I like the tidewater for the Infinite mana from bracers to make mangara, isochron and, meadowmist infinite. I just don't think anything else fits as well.  I think I'll still swap some though, because it's likely still less efficient than perplexing chimera.
  Chronomantic escape is cut. I liked that it keeps coming back and more copies get more annoying, but I don't think I need to worry about being overrun too much. Wall of omens will likely replace it.
  Reflector mage however, I'm unsure of.  I already have Boomerang, mangara, and chimera controlling the board, I think i'ld rather use the space for more blink support.
  Again, thanks for the input, it has definitely improved my deck.  (https://deckbox.org/sets/1576104)

Last edited by Joe_Burns (2016-12-14 03:31:50)