Topic: New player ixalan exclusive deck

So I’m new to the game, I know the rules already and play a bit on the kitchen table, went to a prerelease ( obviously got kicked in the butt ) and got some Ixalan cards, before that I only had a welcome deck. So I got the idea to build a deck purely out of the Ixalan set so that I don’t get involved into the entire history of magic cards for the moment, so I’m a way I want Ixalan to be my starter point. Is this idea just dumb or really dumb?

Re: New player ixalan exclusive deck

It depends on where and how you want to play. If you have other friends that are new, and you plan to play casually with them, this is obviously completely fine. Test cards, learn synergies, and strategies, etc. If you plan to play standard at your local store, this will work, though be prepared to lose for a while while you learn, and collect a larger pool of cards. Cards from Khaladesh, through Hour of Devastation are still legal in standard, and many of the best decks do need a significant number of cards from those.

My advice: If you plan to eventually play Standard, even pseudo competitively, do drafts (assuming your store offers them.) You get to learn to play on a relatively even playing field. (In that you aren't punished for having a small collection relative to the other players.) Additionally, you get to add to your collection, while learning to play. And your expected value is slightly better than just cracking packs.