Topic: first commander deck

hi all, I took a break from magic and am now starting to get back into it again. my play group is now going with commander decks. I have just started with my commander deck and am looking for advice. My commander is Sliver Queen. my deck can be found at : https://deckbox.org/sets/1967312. I am looking for input on lands and in general. I am not running any duals cause I don't have that $. I am considering lands that are $20 or less.

thank you in advanced.

Re: first commander deck

The pain lands from Magic Origins are great and very affordable. Most of them can be picked up for about a buck.  All of them were printed in previous core sets, but a handful were reprinted in Origins and can easily be found in most LGS Origins binders. Check out Battlefield Forge, Llanowar Wastes, Caves of Koilos, and there's others.

Another set to consider are the check lands from Shadows Over Innistrad. They are great too and are only a little over a buck or two.

Battle for Zendikar also has a set of check lands that run around $2 each. I really like these because they include basic land subtypes. (look at Sunken Hollow and you'll see it says "Island Swamp"). If you decide later that you'd like to start adding fetch lands, then these check lands with basic subtypes allow you to fetch them. It'll take some of the work out of reworking your mana base to include fetchable lands.

Tri-Lands are dirt cheap and can be great, but they're a little slow because they etb tapped. Check out Jungle Shrine.

I've just started using a set of filter lands since they were reprinted in A25 and they are relatively inexpensive, but pricier that the budget lands I listed above. Anywhere from $8-$12 at the time of this post.

I will say I've yet to test these filter lands in actual play since I've just recently put them in, but I think they could work out well.

Of course there's also lands like Exotic Orchard, Mana Confluence, Command Tower and Reflecting Pool. Or Unclaimed Territory and Path of Ancestry if you're running tribal.**Unclaimed Territory can be a GREAT budget replacement for Cavern of Souls. The obvious difference being that unclaimed doesn't have the "can't be countered" ability.** All of these are usually sub $10, with some of them around $1.

I know there are many other great multi-color budget lands that I haven't mentioned here as well. You just gotta dive in and seek them out.

Last edited by MrNoSox (2018-04-05 00:40:02)

Re: first commander deck

Thank you! I will add those lands in as I get them. I am so frustrated now lol. I used to have most, if not all of those cards before I sold all but my decks. It is hard not to look back at selling my cards now and regretting it. Oh well. Again, thank you for the help!