Topic: Single Tokens

I was wondering where the single tokens debate ended up? I have some time lately to go through and actually sort through my tokens. I wanted to add in my Angel token from Planechase Anthology, but there was no option for it. The only option was the double sided option. All of my tokens are sleeved with their color sleeves so I can identify them quicker, so for me it's just an Angel token. Another one is going to be my Saproling token. I thought I could get around this a little by adding a note to them, but that functionality is only in decks, not collections. Is there any chance of adding the single sides to the tokens for sets that are missing them?

Re: Single Tokens

Any chance I can get a reply to this question?

Re: Single Tokens

reezel wrote:

Any chance I can get a reply to this question?

I know you're wanting a reply from Sebi, and probably won't appreciate one from anyone else, especially a dissenting view. But I'll provide my 2 cents anyways, for the sake of general discussion, or "debate" as you say.

reezel wrote:

I wanted to add in my Angel token from Planechase Anthology, but there was no option for it. The only option was the double sided option. All of my tokens are sleeved with their color sleeves so I can identify them quicker, so for me it's just an Angel token. Another one is going to be my Saproling token.

What did you want to add it to? Your inventory or a deck? Because if you're wanting to add it to your inventory, then the double-sided token being the only option is correct—that's the only card that physically exists.

Now, if you want to use it in your deck as simply an Angel, then you've already stated the solution!  smile

reezel wrote:

I thought I could get around this a little by adding a note to them, but that functionality is only in decks, not collections.

List Angel // Saproling tokens in your inventory (because that's what you actually own, regardless of how you sleeve them), then add it to your deck with a note explaining which face is currently being used in that deck.

This is no different than if you were to slip a Mountain into your Dimir Zombie deck to represent a Cavern of Souls you don't have yet—your Mountain doesn't suddenly become a Cavern of Souls simply because you're using it that way. You can sleeve a card any way you want, but it doesn't change the physical card you truly own. And that's what the Inventory (and Trades and the Marketplace) is designed to represent—your actual physical cards. You can't trade or sell/buy a single-sided Angel token from Planechase Anthology, because it doesn't exist. Neither can you own one. And the Inventory represents what you own, not how you sleeve it.

TL;DR — How you sleeve and how you use cards in decks is different than what the card actually is. And the tools on Deckbox need to reflect that difference.

reezel wrote:

Is there any chance of adding the single sides to the tokens for sets that are missing them?

So you're wanting Sebi to do extra work when he already has plenty to deal with and is sometimes delayed when adding new sets to the database as it is?

Here's the thing: You're pretty much the only user I ever saw asking for this edge case, whereas I saw many MANY users begging for the double-sided tokens (particularly from the Commander sets) to be added. Even considering that there might be a few more users who would agree with you, a nonstandard and inaccurate usage of an inventory system that a small subset of users wants, when they have a viable method of achieving their goals elsewise, is not significant enough of a justification for introducing inaccuracy and confusion into the database and marketplace.

Last edited by meldon44 (2020-04-17 19:15:14)