Topic: "Add cards" search in other languages

So i just started using deckbox and its great for tracking my english cards.
Now i also have many german cards in my collection.

The "problem" i encountered is that if i want to add cards to my inventory with the "add cards" feature in my inventory i can only search for english cards while in the search bar on top of the website i can also search for german cards.

Is that intended? Will it be possible to search for other languages in the add cards feature in the future?

I tried searching for this topic but didnt quite find a similar problem

Re: "Add cards" search in other languages

Hi Castle357, welcome to the forums!

I have many cards in other languages as well and I agree that it would be very helpful if we could either search all languages, or otherwise specify the language when searching.

A workaround is to find out the English name of the card by looking it up using information about it you do know.  For example, here on Deckbox you could search the Card Database by filtering on CMC (cost), color, and type.  Alternatively, on Gatherer, I personally have found it easiest to search on artist actually, along with CMC, and color if need be.  That usually narrows it down a lot!

Hope that might help you a bit in the meantime.  But in the long run I do hope we get the ability to search in other languages!

Re: "Add cards" search in other languages

Castle357 wrote:

Is that intended? Will it be possible to search for other languages in the add cards feature in the future?

I'm not a developer for this site, so this is in no way official, but I'm going to answer: Yes, given enough to time to reach "in the future", this will be possible. But should you hold your breath for it? Probably not. There's only one guy actively developing this site, so there's a lot on his plate. And given that there's also no way to use non-English card names when adding cards using the "Add Card List" or "From a CSV File" options, I'm guessing that a fundamental aspect of his database design would have to be radically altered in order to accommodate foreign-card-name adding. I'm betting the search box in the top bar uses separate database queries from the one in the Add Cards tool.

You've already hinted at the easiest way to do it on Deckbox -- search for the foreign name up top, then on the search result page, use the "Edit" buttons (underneath the card image) to add the card to your Inventory / Wishlist. A pain in the butt as it takes a few more clicks than the normal add-card process. But at least it's feasible on here!